Towing for the first time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tomorrow I am towing a old cop car about 30 miles (mostly state highway). I am planning on using a car dolly from uhaul. The car probably weighs about 4K lbs. I should be good right? Ive never towed anything before I wanna make sure I got it all prepared right.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Just make sure you strap the front tires down really well...if it's a RWD car, I would rake the driveshaft off too...

OP
OP
A

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told to put the rear on the dolly and make sure the steering wheel was locked, or take the driveshaft off like you said

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I would rather pull it from the front....I have never like towing cars from the rear...

OP
OP
A

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to ask why cant the car be in neutral?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
those car haulers are more of a headache to pull when empty that they are loaded though....lol...dont forget to hang your break chains too...I criss cross mine.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Just to ask why cant the car be in neutral?
I guess it can be, but I was always taught to take the drive shaft out...less wear and tear on the trans I guess...I know with the older cars with the odometer gears in the trans it also kept the odometer from turning.

OP
OP
A

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well this all may be for not, because I just remembered I have AAA gold which has free unlimited towing, so I might as well have them do it so I don't have to pay to rent the dolly. That makes much more sense lol.

OP
OP
A

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info to know in the future, thanks Adam.

Mods feel free to delete this thread.