Towing/hauling with flip kit and air helper bags. I need more!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram QC 5.7l hemi. I lowered it. The back has a flip kit with an added sway bar and firestone helper air bags. I only have about 3" of travel before I hit my bump stops. The other day I picked up a small load of dirt while pulling my 12' landscape trailer and even with the bags at 100psi I kept bottoming out.

Is there a helper spring I can add or stiffer spring set or something that wouldn't raise the tuck? I know with the axle flip an add-a-leaf shouldn't raise the truck but just wanted to see what everyone else recommends.

Would something like this work:
Superlift Suspension Superlift Helper Spring - JCWhitney

I can't use any of the products that bolt over the top of the leaf springs because of the air bags. Looks like the only products I could use would be added to the spring pack itself or a new spring pack or something.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have my oem bump stops completely off; it allows for a tad more room to travel, but when I tried to haul some mulch I was still hittin frame.

You might try taking them off since you have the helper bags, it might give you just enough room.

Only other option would be to notch the frame I would think

OP
OP
Y

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed the OEM bump stops and have poly stops that are probably 3/4" in total depth so I don't think that would help me much if any. At least it's not metal on metal when it does hit, but my tires rub a very small amount when it bounces all the way down when loaded and that is what I'm trying to stop.

Kevin

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ahhh... yeah I see what you mean now. The only way I can think of would be to notch the frame/remove wheel wells. I'm surprised the bags aren't helping that's crazy

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
A frame notch would help a ton but its a bit of work. I had the same issue with mine and using the air lift kit and a frame notch eliminated the bottoming out

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Y

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A frame notch is the last thing I need. That would just make my problems even worse??? I need something to keep it from sagging so much. If it could go down even further my tires would rub even worse. I think the add a leaf I listed would help with the airbags. Think I'm going to give it a try.

Kevin

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
A lot of the time this is a problem that people who drop their trucks run into. They lose the ability to tow or haul by a factor of half of what they would normally be doing. If your truck was rated for 5600 lbs towing capacity then after dropping it you will only be able to tow 2800 lbs. Most people do not know about this until they find out the hard way. Short of returning your truck back to stock there is not a lot you can do to get back what was lost.

OP
OP
Y

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not say you loose half of your towing capacity. I still have the stock springs. What I have lost is suspension travel. Let's say I had 8" stock I now have only 4". That just means that my suspension bottoms out sooner. Really doesn't affect towing more so it affects bed capacity. I would still tow my max weight since the hitch weight would still probably only be 500lbs. What I'm trying to get back is to stop the bottoming out so soon. by stiffening the springs some and the use of the helper bags.

Kevin

SublimeRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redtruck-VA talks about some bumpstops that act more like a spring with a loaded carrying capacity by a company called Timbren. Maybe look into those. Maybe he will chime in as well.

OP
OP
Y

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just looked up the Timbren kit. I think those would work great if I hadn't done a flip on the axle. I don't think I have enough room for them now :(.

Kevin