towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just picked up a brand new 8.5x20 ft king american trailer today and man does it sway on the highway. Is there any tricks to keep the swaying down at all? I towed a 7x12 ft haulmark before this one with no sway at all.

Any tricks to keep the sway down? Got kinda sketchy at points

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you have the wrong tongue weight. Is it sitting level?

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up a brand new 8.5x20 ft king american trailer today and man does it sway on the highway. Is there any tricks to keep the swaying down at all? I towed a 7x12 ft haulmark before this one with no sway at all.

Any tricks to keep the sway down? Got kinda sketchy at points

The single best thing you can do for sway is to give you a mechanical advantage which is achieved by connecting your trailer to your tow vehicle at a point that is centered between all four of your wheels (ie: 5th Wheel).

But on a more cost effective front, there are hitches made especially to greatly reduce or even eliminate sway.

One of the most popular is the Equil-i-Zer hitch, but there are others like the Pullrite, Hensley Arrow and Dual Cam hitches...

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The single best thing you can do for sway is to give you a mechanical advantage which is achieved by connecting your trailer to your tow vehicle at a point that is centered between all four of your wheels (ie: 5th Wheel).

But on a more cost effective front, there are hitches made especially to greatly reduce or even eliminate sway.

One of the most popular is the Equil-i-Zer hitch, but there are others like the Pullrite, Hensley Arrow and Dual Cam hitches...

cool thanks man ill look into those

it is sitting level

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are band aids to mask the problem of an improperly set up trailer.

Do you have any adjustment in the axles?

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
there might be i have to look

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are band aids to mask the problem of an improperly set up trailer.

Do you have any adjustment in the axles?

Not necessarily, I'm assuming he's pulling an enclosed trailer? My thought when I read the original post was he was talking sway caused by wind.

You can have the trailer setup perfectly and there isn't much you can do for sway caused by wind and other factors like passing 18 wheelers. While I agree that you have no business pulling a trailer that is not setup for the load, often this isn't enough.

We used a Equil-i-zer back when we were pullin' peanuts, pine straw and cotton in enclosed trailers back in the day. I believe I still have one sitting outside rusted to **** at the farm. They make a huge difference...

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
enclosed trailer yes but no load in it at all cause it was brand new and was setup perfectly cause we got it new and was setup when we got there for us

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessarily, I'm assuming he's pulling an enclosed trailer? My thought when I read the original post was he was talking sway caused by wind.

You can have the trailer setup perfectly and there isn't much you can do for sway caused by wind and other factors like passing 18 wheelers. While I agree that you have no business pulling a trailer that is not setup for the load, often this isn't enough.

We used a Equil-i-zer back when we were pullin' peanuts, pine straw and cotton in enclosed trailers back in the day. I believe I still have one sitting outside rusted to **** at the farm. They make a huge difference...

For sway caused by wind, I agree. But it should pull straight just driving down the road. And this wouldn't be the first time I heard of a brand new trailer "setup" by the dealer that towed like ****.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Measure your tongue weight-

(TW) The downward force that is exerted on the hitch ball by the coupler. The tongue weight will vary depending on where the load is positioned in relationship to the trailer axle(s). To measure the tongue weight, use either a commercial scale or a bathroom scale with the coupler at towing height. When using a bathroom scale, use the method shown and multiply the scale reading by 3.

46E76122-C24B-A74B-E395-500AC0498E79.jpg

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Sounds like a ****** set up. Tw can't be that far off with an empty trailer imo. I would start by measuring from the r/s tire too the hitch. using the same point measure to the other tire. They should be exact. If not then the design itself blows. is this a well known/made trailer??