Tuner for towing. . .relatively stock 2006 5.9 Cummins. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just got a new (to me) 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 4x4 (5.9 Cummins w/auto & 3.73 gears); this is my first diesel and we got it primarily for towing heavy loads (8 hr. round trip hauling ~8000# right now).

So far the only mod's I have made are to replace the exhaust with a Magnaflow stainless steel cat-back 5" system (had a big hole rusted in the stock muffler) and change the intake to an AFE Diesel Elite Momentum HD Pro DRY S Cold Air Intake System.

I would like to get a tuner (my speedometer, trip odometer, and fuel mileage display are all off due to larger tires) for towing and to maximize fuel economy when not towing (or when I'm just pulling the empty trailer). . .not interested in diesel drags or anything like that.

I have noticed the SMARTY tuners seem really well liked, but it seems like they might have WAY more capability than I need (or really have time to figure out). I don't plan on doing any big modifications outside of increasing durability, reliability, and fuel economy (transmission coolers, extra capacity trans. pan/diff covers, etc.) so I don't think I need to have all the custom capabilities of the top of the line SMARTY tuner.

You guys have recommendations for what would meet my current needs???