Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Vacation in PA.

This is a discussion on Vacation in PA. within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Hello everybody! Its my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. i have read these posts for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Vacation in PA.
Hello everybody!
Its my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. i have read these posts for a few years now and found out quite a bit of useful information. What a great forum!
Anyways, I'm planning a trip from Columbus,Ohio to Lancaster, Pa. next year. I'll be pulling a 31' travel trailer there and back in august. truck and trailer combined weight with gear is around 14000#. Trailer itself is 6500#. google says to take I-70/I-76 east most of the way. What I'm wondering is how hilly or mountainous is this route and should I even be thinking about pulling this much weight through this route? I'm pulling with an '07 ram 1500 4x4 with 17 inch wheels and stock size tires. My rearend gearing is the 3:92 I'm pretty sure of. I have also installed a 12"x14" tranny cooler inline with the stock tranny cooler. The truck also has the tow package on it. My tranny temp gauge runs around 170-180 degrees when i pull the tt on flat terrain. My truck also has around 130,000 miles on it.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated and thanks much in advance gentlemen!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
milkrunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: 4.7
I have no idea about the route, but the 2007 4x4 1500 5.7 with 17's has a GCWR of 14000 lbs. So, you're are right at the max. I'd definitely try to find out how hilly the drive is. At the least, take it slow and lock out your OD.
lharrell79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 5.9 magnum
I have made the trip from Dayton to east of Lancaster MANY times. There are several long hills on I-76 (PA turnpike). You should be ok as some of them have 3 lanes as they know trucks will be slow. One hill on 70 in WV, as you know, Ohio is flat.
What takes you to Lancaster? Family vacation, work, ???

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
pajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2010
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
I've done the same trip a few times towing my 28' TT, from the Jersey side of Philly to Akron, Cincinnati, and Dayton and back. It's not too bad, as pajeepman stated, some of the long hills have three lanes, and there are no LP restrictions on the turnpike thru the tunnels. With those gears you should be fine, my 2010 has 3.55's and i have no issues, not winning any races uphill, but I don't have to get out and push either. Make sure the brakes are up to snuff, coming down some of those same hills will test them.

Mikhail Gorbachev
jawzs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Hey folks!
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated! We are think about going to lancaster PA. to see all the amish farming and such. I used to farm with my father and grandfather so that interests me still a little. My wife also loves the shopping.
milkrunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote