Welding tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone welded on tow hooks?my 08 lonestar didn't come with any and want to put some on. I know ppl get the bar put on but I don't understand how they do it a write up would be good to have.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As far as I know in most cases Front Tow Hooks are a Bolt-on.

If you want the OEM setup, you only have to replace the Bumper center bracket with the ones that have TOW Hooks on them. No welding required.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bull bars are not welded in either. They are attached to the Frame with bolts.

In some cases the bars go through the middle Air Dam in the bumper in some other case they go through under the bumper. Same goes for Front tow hooks.

As far as I am concerned, it is far easier to Bolt than to weld. Also unless you are an experienced welder with the proper rig, you are much better off bolting than welding. It is way too easy to not have a good weld brake, than to have a properly installed bolt come off...

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sense but a professional would be doing it so I'm guessing it would work

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like the factory kit is like $160. And can be easily bolted on. It will be cheaper, safer and easier than having someone weld some stuff on. You can't just place a hook on something and weld it on and have it hold. You need to have like a large D-ring mount that is welded on both sides of the mounting surface.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The jegs one said it was the mopar kit so it should come with the mounting hardware and everything needed. I don't think you can put a 2500 bumper on your 1500. Think the mounting points are different.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool good to know I'm just trying to figure out if I should order it or not. If I do get I'll make sure to do a DIY WRITE UP. The problem they don't show you a picture of the kit just hooks I'll call Monday to see if they can verify I'll let y'all know what they say

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't see where it said it was kit? All it talks about is the hooks that mount to frame. I'm confused and cant find anything else online about this part.