01 Magnum v6 Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ngrimes09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V6 3.7L
I currently pull a trailer for work that weighs about 4000-6000 pounds depending on how full it is with a Sierra 2500HD. I have some other employees who I would like to pull the trailer in my absence but it would not be cost efficient to buy a new truck for this unless I can find a little beater. To my surprise I did find a man selling an 01 Dodge Ram reg cab ext. bed Magnum v6 for a very good price. It has some cosmetic damage but it drives great. When I looked online half of the people say the towing capacity is 8,200-8700lbs, now this seems very unlikely to me but I have seen it everywhere. Some others say that the towing capacity is 3300 pounds. I can get the truck with 125k miles and install a tow hitch and trailer brakes for under 2000 but I don't want to get it if it can not pull the trailer. It would all be local pulling (10-20 miles max) and for the most part no hills (I dont think small engine could handle that). Please let me know what you guys think. I have never owned a dodge before but I have heard good things and I would like to take a little time away from the business.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
You need to look up the factory tow rating for this truck. The V-6 will pull it but I think 6000# will exceed the factory ratings on this truck.
One thing nobody will be getting speeding tickets.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
you'll have the same towing capacity as the v8 model. but that v6 will take a bit more to get going XD