2500 5.9 V8 pulling 25 foot gooseneck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey all, so I have a 2500 automatic with 4.10 gear ratio, just wondered if a 25 foot flatbed gooseneck is too much for this thing. found a screaming deal on a trailer but don't have a diesel to pull it with at the moment. any insight from someone that may have done this before would be appreciated. I know its not ideal but I've got to have that trailer

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
What's the weight of the trailer?

OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
weighs about 9500 empty, 15,000-16,000 load capacity

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Is your tranny built?

That seems like alot weight though, my travel trailer is 7k dry and its a workout

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That's a really heavy trailer empty...
Most goosenecks weight in the 6k lb rangre

OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
its a heavy trailer, double axle, duals all the way around. probably get it and then look for a little truck to pull it

OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
ok scratch that looked again and the 25 is 7000, the 35 is the 9500 i was reading that wrong. 7 shouldn't be a problem

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
It'll pull it, for how long untill it eats the transmission, not sure. No OD use ever and expect poor hill climbing performance.

Most 2500s are rated at 8100/ 8500 trailer wt depending on Body style and 2/4wd which means you can only add another 1100 lbs to the gross loaded vehicle before exceeding your max capacity.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would do it being a gooseneck it will sit in that bed nice. The tranny will probably melt but then you buy a new built one since those transmissions were pretty weak anyway. What is tow rating on that truck anyway 12k max?

Edit: read above those tow ratings seem low to me I would do that in my 1500 without question. Are you sure a 2500 couldn't muster like 11 or 12k even when it is a V8.

$miley

OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I think its 12k stock. I have overloads and a shift kit in it already for my bumper pull, this trailer is a steal at 1500 bucks because the guy doesnt want to pull it across the country since he is moving. I may buy it, yank it home and let it sit until I have a single axle semi or 1 ton cummins.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would do it being a gooseneck it will sit in that bed nice. The tranny will probably melt but then you buy a new built one since those transmissions were pretty weak anyway. What is tow rating on that truck anyway 12k max?

Edit: read above those tow ratings seem low to me I would do that in my 1500 without question. Are you sure a 2500 couldn't muster like 11 or 12k even when it is a V8.

$miley

I think its 12k stock. I have overloads and a shift kit in it already for my bumper pull, this trailer is a steal at 1500 bucks because the guy doesnt want to pull it across the country since he is moving. I may buy it, yank it home and let it sit until I have a single axle semi or 1 ton cummins.

Again, I don't know what the th OP has for a truck. The figures were pulled from my owners manual.
GCVW (truck and trailer with people etc) for a 2500 gasser 4x4 QCSB is 14 K and again that's a poor performing rig. I had a supervisor that used to do this...until his tranny melted. He traded to a super dooky. I have to admit the v-10 diesel got it done in spades.

The same rig with a diesel has a GCVW of 19K....impressive!

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I would do it for that price in heartbeat. I'll buy it if you don't want to haha send me the address. :)

$miley

OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey Thanks for the replies guys, you helped me make up my mind. Going to go pick it up in the morning but i'm not going to be pulliing it around much until i get a better transmission or a different trailer pulling rig. I mainly just wanted to make sure it wouldn't destroy it just to drag the trailer home.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Empty it will be no problem.

$miley

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Can it be pushed to its extreme? Yes. But it isn't a good idea...

To be safe, make sure you are have a functional brake controller, and use safety chains. Then consult your owners manual for maximum trailer weight. Then never exceed that by more than 1000lbs. Also, load the most weight in the front of the trailer so it balances properly.

You wanna know what is unsafe? Before we knew about safe towing and weight ratings (yes honestly we did not know, never read the operators manual) we towed over 20,000lbs with our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with the original engine and trans! Yes we had a brake controller, and we did run shocks with load assisting springs, etc., and it was able to maintain 45 on the hills, albeit at redline, it towed it. But was it safe? We never had any accidents because of it, but since then I've gotten wise and educated :) We got a 1 ton with a much bigger engine and lower gearing and it was a huge difference!

My point: While it might move under overload, you gotta equip it to tow properly, and then tow within reason! Factory weight ratings are not always the most you can tow safely with your truck, but towing over that may get you into legal trouble depending on your state. So use your brains! It's not about absolute max, but safety! When towing you increase your risk of accidents is at least two times greater, so better make that a smaller chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963