Help with a brake controller install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VaCattleman38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
I've got a 1995 Dodge 2500 and I recently installed a gooseneck hitch. I've got a Reese brake controller and got the wiring harness for it as well. I've done some research and everything I read says the factory harness should be on the white junction beside the emergency brake pedal but I cannot find it anywhere. We are the original owners and nothing has been removed. Is there a chance some of these trucks were made without the factory trailer plug in? Thanks in advance.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it would depend on what you are towing whether you need one or not. if there is nothing plugged into the connector than there is likely no brake controller in the truck.

OP
OP
V

VaCattleman38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
i think it would depend on what you are towing whether you need one or not. if there is nothing plugged into the connector than there is likely no brake controller in the truck.

Maybe I'm confused. I located the light blue wire labeled trailer tow. It's just a wire hanging behind the 84 way connector attached to the fireball near the emergency brake. There is no connector. The diagram you provided states "The wire connects the trailer brake actuator output to pin 2 of the 7 way trailer tow connector". The brake controller I have had a 4 pin connector and I was provided another wiring adapter that is supposed to go from the brake controller to the factory plug in under the dash. I guess I need to hardwire this brake controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that wire runs to the trailer connector at the back of the truck. you still have to wire the brake controller in. you then just plug the brake controller output to that blue wire
faq043_ss_500.jpg

OP
OP
V

VaCattleman38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
Ok gotcha thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
My 95 has the tow package but it didn't have the preconnected trail brake plug.

Tap into the blue wire under the dash, this is the output from the brake controller to the trailer.
Black is power, white is ground, red is the brake sense from your brake petal. I believe that is the red/white wire off the brake petal switch, use a test light to verify. Make sure the colors are correct you can google your controller if needed.

Make sure you use an inline fuse going to the battery to prevent fires. Solder and shrink tube all connections you don't want to corrosion to cause you to loose your brakes.

MBPXJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
My 95 has the tow package but it didn't have the preconnected trail brake plug.

Tap into the blue wire under the dash, this is the output from the brake controller to the trailer.
Black is power, white is ground, red is the brake sense from your brake petal. I believe that is the red/white wire off the brake petal switch, use a test light to verify. Make sure the colors are correct you can google your controller if needed.

Make sure you use an inline fuse going to the battery to prevent fires. Solder and shrink tube all connections you don't want to corrosion to cause you to loose your brakes.

I have a 1995 5.2 v8 with the same situation.

I was able to find the blue wire under the dash near the steering column with the tag "trailer tow".

Just need to find the "brake sense" wire. Hoping that I will be able to find the "red/white" wire.

Does anyone have a link / diagram of the wiring under the dash?

Thank you!