Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

helper springs

This is a discussion on helper springs within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
I was looking at getting husky springs LP7 helper springs from rockauto so my truck doesn't squat as much when ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 12vcummins59
  • 1 Post By dudeman2009

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Default helper springs
I was looking at getting husky springs LP7 helper springs from rockauto so my truck doesn't squat as much when I haul wood or sometimes hay but it said that the weight rating on the springs is only 1000 pounds which is obviously less than I haul so what is a good option that would help it not squat as much but not be very expensive? It is a 96 ram 2500HD. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
12vcummins59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
The springs are rated per side I believe, so unless otherwise stated, double the rating for a set, that is what it will 'add' when loaded directly above the axle.

Air bags are another option, but can be a rip off if you get the cheap ones. Personally, i'd get a set of bags for semis and stick those on there myself, they'll last longer.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1995
Engine: 5.9L Magnum
Check out hellwig

Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 ram 2500
Engine: hemi
supersprings are progressive rate ,helwigs , stableloads,timbrens,even a block between your spring pack and the overload will work.all relatively cheap compared to airbags or a stiffer spring pack.personally,i have supersprings for support and airbags for leveling. you don't feel the supersprings when it's not carrying a load.unless you're a total fuckup,you won't kill a set of airbags.and even if you do they'll replace them if you've installed them properly.keeping in mind they are for leveling,not increasing your weight rating.not in a million years will you fit semi bags on your truck,and even if you do it would be as comfortable as falling down the stairs.and you can't double the rate of springs,that's not how they're rated.there's no such thing as "cheap" airbags. sorry,but that whole post is just wrong.

Last edited by bcbouy; 01-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.
bcbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
I'll stand to be corrected on the proper rating on helper spring.

However there is such a thing as cheap airbags. You can get bags and the install kit for sub $200, its nothing more than the bags and a valve stem style connector for pumping them up. Real cheap, super thin walls on the airbags and will blow out the first time you hit a bad set of tracks with them pumped up and under load.

As for Semi bags, Firestone has a kit that will mount single height bags. You can go and get upper frame mounts for bags, and retrofit the lower bag mounts in order to fit single height bags. I never said you'd get standard double heigh bags under there, but Firestone does sell low height bags for the exact use on pickups. I'm not talking the sleeve style, yes those are only for leveling, it could take 75psi to level 1000lbs, but on a small bellows style you'd need less than 40psi.

There are plenty of pickups with heavy duty airbags, its a little more expensive than buying new spring packs plus coils for the front, but it will be far from a horrible ride. Air suspension provides a very smooth ride, and only increases stiffness with load, exactly like helper springs. Semi's only ride hard because of the massive spring packs and high tire pressures they run even at no load.

And yes, bags are not solely used to hold weight, they are used for leveling tractors. However they can take 10klbs load to do so.

We can agree to disagree bcboy.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996
Engine: Cummins 5.9
screenshot_2016-08-15-10-01-11.jpg here's what it looks like loaded, I get more in there now because I took the tool box out
Joe w. likes this.
12vcummins59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

A pair of helper springs isn't going to help a ton there. It might raise it by an inch or two, but not enough to level it out.

I stand by my original statement. A set of bellows style airbags will bring that right back. Forget all that garbage about them not being used to hold weight but instead just level. You cant level anything without holding weight. Many air ride travel busses use nothing but bellows style air bags and rubber bottom out protection.

If you really want to get fancy, you can even get a leveling valve and hook it up with an ignition switched compressor so it auto levels. Then when you take the load out it automatically vents pressure from the bags so you don't have to.

Its more work than a set of springs, and a bit more expensive, but a thousand times more satisfactory. Trailering would be a breeze too.

(You still have to pay attention to max vehicle weight ratings though)
12vcummins59 likes this.