Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

how hot is too hot?

This is a discussion on how hot is too hot? within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Okay so heres an update, today I replaced the thermostat replaced the temp gauge sensor and burped the engine. It ...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996
Engine: v10
Okay so heres an update, today I replaced the thermostat replaced the temp gauge sensor and burped the engine. It seems like everything is working, but I have one question, can a temp sensor be bad right out of the box? Everything seems good tstat is cycling, nothing seems overheated but the gauge is reading 200+.Ive got another new sensor gonna put it in when it cools off...

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
moondogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
Originally Posted by moondogmike View Post
So I think Im going to run trans cooler lines away from the radiator. whats the best way to do this step by step? Thanks...
you don't need to bypass the rad trans cooler. i would personally advise leaving it and just adding an additional cooler on the line returning to the pan. the bottom of your rad where the stock trans cooler is located stays fairly cool compared to the upper rad where all the heat is.

it is possibly to have a bad temp sensor out of the box with how cheap things are made but are you sure you are replacing the right temp sensor? i am pretty sure there should be 2 temp sensor on your engine. 1 for the gauge and 1 for the computer. the one for the gauge usually only has 1 wire to the connector
gofishn and Gr8bawana like this.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996
Engine: v10
Yes its the sensor with one prong.
moondogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
well i don't know what your thoughts on it are but you could install an aftermarket temp gauge if you don't trust the sending units or the stock gauge. they are usually fairly cheap and pretty accurate. i like knowing my engines exact temp since i got electric fans

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" Short Box
Engine: hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You burp a system by leaving the cap 'off' and allowing the thermostat to cycle through, a few timesd, and then adding more fluid. bascially, jsut isnure you get all teh air out of the system.

what is your thermostat temp setting? before putting a thermostat on a vehicle, place it in pan of water, on your kitchen stove, along with a thermometer, to insure it is set properly adn functioning as designed.

10-15 degree above thermostat setting is not unusual,for engine temps, but should drop down, once system performs and exchange of fluids, form radiator to the engine.

remember, whatever temperature the thermostat is set to open, the fluid must pass from teh engine, to the radiator, then the radiator fluid, which is now cooled, must pass into teh engine, so an engine running slightly higher than the thermostat setting is to be expected. again, the engine should cool down rather quickly though.

if not, my concern would be blocked passage ways within the engine, not allowing a complete fluid exchange or restricting the fluid exchange OR blocked passage ways within the radiator itself.

Placing a thermometer in the raditor, with cap off is another good way to see jsut what teh temp is, of teh fluid coming out of the engine. and seeing what the temp is, of teh fluid right before it goes back into teh engine. either the flauid is not doing a complete fluid exschange or soemthign is preventing it from cooling properly while in the radiator.

Husky X-ACT Counter Mats, D.Z. Tailgate Assist & Bed Mat, A.R.E. Topper/Cap, Line-X Bed Liner, Mopar Remote Start-Heavy Duty Rubber Mud Flaps-#82213266AB W2W SS Side Steps, Kenwood DDX492, Alpine MRV-F300 Amplifier, Alpine SPR-6x9, Polk Audio DB351, Bilstein [email protected](Front), Bilstein 5100(Rear), TufTruck 1211 Rear Springs, Mevotech UCA's, Engine Bay Paint Mod, Cabin Air Filter mod, Stinger Roadkill Sound Dampener, AVS Vent Visors, Magnaflow 12388 Muffler, H11 to H9 Headlight Mod
gofishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998
Engine: 360? 5.9
What problem are you facing when you run your engine with rad cap off and it overflows the rad cap opening?
DazSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1994
Engine: 5.9L6
Make sure you buy a coolant temp sensor from the dealer or moparpartsoverstock . Parts house sensors are junk.

235 is the max I would like, and that means it's time to pull over.

How much were towing? Speed? Outside temp? AC on? All these variables are very important

Make sure the clutch fan is locking.
No electric fan in the world pull pull more air than a good clutch fan.

In my 12v it roars on at ~215 and drops the temperature fast. You can't miss it at 2K it sounds like a helicopter at take off. On a gas motor I can only imagine it being much more noticeable
alanack6795 is offline   Reply With Quote