I need some expert advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500TOWPIG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I currently have a 318 in my 99 Ram 4wd that is tired and ready for replacement. I am redoing this truck from tires up and need advice.
The truck is Reg cab short wheel base. I am planning a 5" suspension lift/3" body lift and 37" tires. The truck is currently stock with 33". The truck is used on weekends for Hunting/Towing/ and the occasional Recovery of a stuck friend. First of all I am planning a 360 engine swap, What HP and Torque should I build motor for its use? I know there are stroker kits out there but not sure if i will get the dependability I need for Towing. Since I am Swapping a '99 360 to keep TBI injection, I need other sources for rebuild kits because Summit racing for some reason couldnt answer my questions.
I am also updating Transmission/Transfer case/axles and gears but cant really answer those questions until I decide the power of my Motor. Please help cause I am Stuck in a Rut?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think the best engine build to handle the towing, be reliable and allows you to re-use the TBI with a bit larger injector would be a 408 stroker. Based on the 360 Magnum engine, this is a great combination of low end torque and high end HP.

Mopar Performance makes a crank for this, as does Eagle. There are some "How To's" on the web that detail this build. And if you'd like to see some examples of basic and badass 408 strokers based on the 360, check out SouthEast R/T - Southeast Performance. John Mercedes there at SE is a great source, sells kits and has done a ton of these motors. Great guy to get to know.

Good luck!

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Mississippi!!!!!!!!

welcome.