Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Increase towing

This is a discussion on Increase towing within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
I was wondering if there was any way to boost the towing capacity on my truck. It's an 01 ram ...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.2
Default Increase towing
I was wondering if there was any way to boost the towing capacity on my truck. It's an 01 ram 1500 sport. 5.2 with the 4x4 off-road package. I have a 40 ft snowmobile trailer that I would like to be able to tow that weighs around 8000. Anything I can do such as new rear springs or suspension upgrades or different gearing?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
dannetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
8000lbs is pushing it on stock gears. If the tongue weight of the trailer is above 500-600lbs, which i'm guessing it is, you are going to want to beef up the rear suspension. Forget helper springs unless you dont mind it sagging 4-6 inches while loaded. I would go with an add a leaf kit or replace the rear leafs all together with a pack that has an additional leaf. Might as well do the shocks too, they aren't that expensive for what you're looking at.

I cant remember what the stock gears are, either 3.55 or 3.73 however jumping to the next ratio will give put a bit more torque to the wheels, however your gas mileage will slightly decrease (about 1mpg) and your rpms at a given speed will also increase, as well as your speedometer saying that you're going faster than you actually are.

A lot depends on the tires you are running, the larger the tire, the worse it tows, to an extent.

As for the other things you can do, check for the deathflash. There will be a sticker on the PCM on the passenger side firewall that says something like "factory authorized update". There are guides to fix that problem under the plenum gasket thread in the Engines section.

Only other things I can think of are a nice set of brake pads and a tongue at the right angle.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
If you tow it often, get a 3/4 ton with a......*shudders* diesel.
BBartow and dannetb like this.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dudeman2009 View Post
8000lbs is pushing it on stock gears. If the tongue weight of the trailer is above 500-600lbs, which i'm guessing it is, you are going to want to beef up the rear suspension. Forget helper springs unless you dont mind it sagging 4-6 inches while loaded. I would go with an add a leaf kit or replace the rear leafs all together with a pack that has an additional leaf. Might as well do the shocks too, they aren't that expensive for what you're looking at.

I cant remember what the stock gears are, either 3.55 or 3.73 however jumping to the next ratio will give put a bit more torque to the wheels, however your gas mileage will slightly decrease (about 1mpg) and your rpms at a given speed will also increase, as well as your speedometer saying that you're going faster than you actually are.

A lot depends on the tires you are running, the larger the tire, the worse it tows, to an extent.

As for the other things you can do, check for the deathflash. There will be a sticker on the PCM on the passenger side firewall that says something like "factory authorized update". There are guides to fix that problem under the plenum gasket thread in the Engines section.

Only other things I can think of are a nice set of brake pads and a tongue at the right angle.

I hav 4:11 gearing because it's the off-road package
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
Originally Posted by dannetb View Post
I hav 4:11 gearing because it's the off-road package
Then your good on that side. I'd just beef up the rear suspension.
dannetb likes this.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Engine: 5.9L V8
I'm with dd94 in saying get a 2500 if you're going to tow it often. Your truck can handle it yeah but you also gotta take into account braking ability too. Considering the highest any 1500 was rated for was about 1000lbs less than what you have i wouldn't recommend it. Something happens and authorities find out you were over capacity you're FUCKED with a lube-free cactus
dodge dude94, Statcher1 and Cleave like this.

2001 Ram 1500 QCSB, 2" HBS level 285/70/17 Toyo OpenCountry AT2s, M1 2bbl, F&B 52x55mm TB, Pacesetter Longtube headers, CarvenTR, M1 91 Octane canned tune by FlyinRyan, 4.56 gears+Eaton TrueTrack remote start, HS 1.7 RRs, Custom RetroFit 6500K HID
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 2500 Mega
Engine: 6.4
+1^

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
cyclepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dapepper9 View Post
I'm with dd94 in saying get a 2500 if you're going to tow it often. Your truck can handle it yeah but you also gotta take into account braking ability too. Considering the highest any 1500 was rated for was about 1000lbs less than what you have i wouldn't recommend it. Something happens and authorities find out you were over capacity you're FUCKED with a lube-free cactus

I have electric trailer brakes so I don't really have that issue and its towed currently by a 1500 Tahoe so I feel confident my truck can do it with some minor changes. I'm also de badged so there is no way to know its a 1500 from the outside
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Increase towing
Originally Posted by dannetb View Post
I have electric trailer brakes so I don't really have that issue and its towed currently by a 1500 Tahoe so I feel confident my truck can do it with some minor changes. I'm also de badged so there is no way to know its a 1500 from the outside

Unless you commit fraud on your insurance and registration de badging isn't going to save you from tickets - law suits if your over weight and pulled over or involved in an accident.
And heavier springs won't either.
Forget money in fines and lawsuits how would you feel if you lost a loved one because someone else was confident that (insert what ever, no safety chains, over loaded, no brakes, load range P or D instead of E, fancy rims not rated for loads, no tow mirrors etc) was good enough.
Rhetorical because people do what ever they want, causing loss, which leads to more rules and regulations.
dodge dude94 likes this.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
Unless you commit fraud on your insurance and registration de badging isn't going to save you from tickets - law suits if your over weight and pulled over or involved in an accident.
And heavier springs won't either.
Forget money in fines and lawsuits how would you feel if you lost a loved one because someone else was confident that (insert what ever, no safety chains, over loaded, no brakes, load range P or D instead of E, fancy rims not rated for loads, no tow mirrors etc) was good enough.
Rhetorical because people do what ever they want, causing loss, which leads to more rules and regulations.

The truck is rated for about 7500 the trailer weights between 7500-8000 I'm not really towing that much over the rated weight. I'm towing at the limit. I just want to make it so my truck will be able to do it without struggling