Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Increase towing

This is a discussion on Increase towing within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Originally Posted by dannetb The truck is rated for about 7500 the trailer weights between 7500-8000 I'm not really towing ...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by dannetb View Post
The truck is rated for about 7500 the trailer weights between 7500-8000 I'm not really towing that much over the rated weight. I'm towing at the limit. I just want to make it so my truck will be able to do it without struggling

Have you weighed it loaded? Truck with all people &gear, full of gas. Trailer with (?)) and all fluids. It's a combined weight. But it's futile to ask for advice when your going to do it regardless.
I'm not perfect I have towed over loaded. But it wasn't the plan. I now have a 1/2 ton, at the time I thought it was more than I'd ever need again. But once again I was wrong. I made my decision based on faulty future sight

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.2
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
Have you weighed it loaded? Truck with all people &gear, full of gas. Trailer with (?)) and all fluids. It's a combined weight. But it's futile to ask for advice when your going to do it regardless.
I'm not perfect I have towed over loaded. But it wasn't the plan. I now have a 1/2 ton, at the time I thought it was more than I'd ever need again. But once again I was wrong. I made my decision based on faulty future sight

I have towed it with a 1500 Tahoe and it toes it perfectly fine. The trailer is rated at 6000 empty and it has 4 sleds in it plus gear puts it at about 7500
dannetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Originally Posted by dannetb View Post
I have electric trailer brakes so I don't really have that issue and its towed currently by a 1500 Tahoe so I feel confident my truck can do it with some minor changes. I'm also de badged so there is no way to know its a 1500 from the outside
Because 5 lugs says nothing lol. Your trick is not rated for 7500. That's the most any 2nd Gen 1500 was rated for and that's 2wd rclb with 5.9 and 3.92s. Yes you have 4.11s and it'll pull it fine but your truck is also taller than standard stock and isn't rated for that and you can get in a shit load of trouble. 1 trip maybe every couple months or so ok do whatever you want but if you're going to tow it often, get a bigger truck.

You could put standard 1500 springs and 245s on to over gear if you are serious about this being your tow pig but answer this: is it worth your time and money and risk to use this truck.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do just my recommendation. The ORE will be better than tune tahoe but a 2500 would be better yet
Statcher1 and Padilen like this.
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
You're a stubborn little prick, aren't you?
Go ahead and tow it. Go ahead and end up in jail one of these days then you lose the trailer and kill someone

Old 03-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1997
Engine: 5.9
Funny how someone will ask for opinions or recommendations and then poo poo every one of them because they don't get the answers they want.
This guy is going to do what he wants anyway so to him I say
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1997
Engine: 5.2
Yeah this just sounds like a bad idea. It's fine and dandy to consider the dealer undsrshoots power numbers on engines sometimes and can be altered and whatnot to gain more, but towing is not something to fool around with. I do have ample experience towing as I do it weekly for my job. It's really nothing to take a risk on. If it's an emergency and you were going to stay on side streets then I can see taking a chance maybe once if you didn't get going too fast. I'm talking nothing above 35. I have literally witnessed welded in receivers bend on a truck when it took off from a light. Thankfully that had no momentum, but if he got lucky and made it through that might, he might have gained enough momentum to cause a lot of damage and risk injury to many people. Basically, if you have to ask about increasing the towing capacity of a vehicle, it's time to find another vehicle with a higher towing capacity. Towing capacity isn't going to change unless you do some seriously hardcore frame strengthening and other modifications that would cost you more than 2500 with a cummins. You can squeeze more power out of a drivetrain and make towing easier, however it won't increase how much you can pull. I don't know that I'd pull that load with a Tahoe either. You might have done it lots of times, but you don't notice the strain that's being put on the truck each time. And you won't usually until it's too late, ans it would really suck for somebody else to pay for it.
dodge dude94 and Statcher1 like this.
IrocRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 5.9 magnum
What is the gvw if the trailer, sounds like that may be overloaded also, can not tell from your wording (may just be the way I am reading it though)
pajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998
Engine: Magnum v10
Well let's see. Gearing is fine. Use stock tire size and you'll be fine. What kind of rims/wheels do you have? Stock or find a set rated for what you need. Buy an Add a leaf for each side or just get new leaf shackles AND extra leafs. Get some decent shocks. Make sure the hitch is in good condition. Get a fresh set of brakes and not the cheapos lol.. Please don't go 70.. Now for what you don't want to hear... Get a cummins or v10.

You can get an airlift system to help.
New shocks/springs in the front can help.
Brake controller
Use less load

I don't recommend it though. I knew a guy who got killed and killed a few others doing what you are.. He used a 1/2 ton chevy to haul a gooseneck with 4 horses... Was a good man and great horse trainer
joepizuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
Originally Posted by joepizuro View Post

I don't recommend it though. I knew a guy who got killed and killed a few others doing what you are.. He used a 1/2 ton chevy to haul a gooseneck with 4 horses... Was a good man and great horse trainer
Fun fact: Previous owner of my truck had a gooseneck installed and used it to tow a cattle trailer.
dodge dude94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998
Engine: Magnum v10
I also had a 95 ram 1500 with 5.9 and a 3rd wheel for hauling a gooseneck... The suspension was shot in that truck and everything needed replaced. Also had cracked leafs on both sides... When I bought it I only used it for hauling hay and bumper trailer
joepizuro is offline   Reply With Quote