Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Shifter loose

This is a discussion on Shifter loose within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Hi I recently got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 that is a 5 speed and shifter is loose while it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2000
Engine: V8 magnum
Default Shifter loose
Hi I recently got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 that is a 5 speed and shifter is loose while it is gear. I was wondering if anyone can show exactly where the the bolts are to tighten it. I was also wondering if this is an easy fix that won't cost an arm and a leg to fix at a mechanic.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Kendall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
Originally Posted by Kendall88 View Post
Hi I recently got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 that is a 5 speed and shifter is loose while it is gear. I was wondering if anyone can show exactly where the the bolts are to tighten it. I was also wondering if this is an easy fix that won't cost an arm and a leg to fix at a mechanic.
what probably caused it is leaving your hand on it while it's in gear, putting pressure on it&wears it out. I know it's a hard habit to break for me personally, but will only save the tranny in the long run. as to what would fix it, I have no idea. as long as it's not popping out of gear, it shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
mitchbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
The manual lever is directly connected to the ball detent system. If you still have a clear detent in or around each gear the problem is not with that. But if it slides freely from gear to gear, then your detent arm is bent and let the ball fly out, that is a dealer part and requires the valve body to be dropped.

If you still have the dent, the easiest places to look is right under the pedals on the underside of the cab. Just look for the metal rod coming of the driver side of the engine. You will have a cotter pin very soon off the shift lever. From there I believe there is a set screw that is for adjusting where the indicator sits in the dash, that has been known to come loose if it wasn't properly installed.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Originally Posted by dudeman2009 View Post
The manual lever is directly connected to the ball detent system. If you still have a clear detent in or around each gear the problem is not with that. But if it slides freely from gear to gear, then your detent arm is bent and let the ball fly out, that is a dealer part and requires the valve body to be dropped.

If you still have the dent, the easiest places to look is right under the pedals on the underside of the cab. Just look for the metal rod coming of the driver side of the engine. You will have a cotter pin very soon off the shift lever. From there I believe there is a set screw that is for adjusting where the indicator sits in the dash, that has been known to come loose if it wasn't properly installed.
He's got a 5 speed stick not the auto. There is no manual lever/detent system. His shifter goes directly into the top of his trans.

As to what the fix is I'm not sure. You'd have to pull the carpet back and inspect your linkages. Probably wear as mentioned earlier. There's probably a way to tighten it up but i wouldn't know without looking at one
dapepper9 is online now   Reply With Quote