Shocks for heavy loads in a Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidpost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a well used Ram 1500 Club Cab 1500 4x4 360 (5.9L) that is cupping tires even though the alignment is fine. The tire shop guy says it is probably the shocks. The shocks are well worn and a bit tired so, it's time to swap them out.

This pickup is worked hard off-road hauling firewood, pulling trailers, etc. on the farm at modest speeds. It also sees some highway use as well so, shocks that don't beat me to death running empty to the big city would be nice too.

I have run Bilstein 5100's in the past on a Toyota Tundra but, to be honest, I found them to be a bit harsh. My friend is a KYB fanatic. I have also used Firestone airbags (load lifters) in the past with good results but, I don't think they are appropriate for this pickup as I use trailers a lot more now.

What shocks would you recommend and why? I'm thinking the Bilstein 5100's aren't the best because I don't want more lift. Would midgrade Bilstein's be better/same/worse than similar KYB's? Should I look at something else from the off-road catalog/website places like 4wheelparts.com and similar offroad shops?

TIA,
Sid

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Cupping can be caused either by worn shocks/struts, or a tire that is severely out of balance (usually on a truck tire 4oz or more combined and not on opposite sides of the tire)

Before I continue, shocks will not provide lift, they only resist a change in suspension position. The Bilstein 5100s will not lift a vehicle, but have a little extra length to allow for install on lifted trucks.

I've used both Bilstein heavy duty shocks for stock height trucks (dont have a lift that would require the 5100 series) and Monroe gas magnum shocks.

One of my buddies from school put Monroe load adjusting shocks on his 2500 and loved them, but he was almost always towing something and it was great for that, but man was it a stiff ride without any load.

I have used KYB, Gabriel and Ranchero on various vehicles over the years, but none on a pickup, so theres that.

Overall, everything i've heard, the Bilstein Heavy duty and 5100 series are basically the same but for different height applications. On my truck which is a 1500 with leaf springs for a 2500 so it starts with a stiff ride, I prefer the Monroe gas magnum over the bilstein as they are a little softer as far as I can tell but still are able to dampen my 8000lb travel trailer.

One of my instructors in college used monroe reflex shocks, he loved them as they were so smooth hitting bumps on the road (Michigan road), but he didn't do much towing, never said if he'd recommend towing heavy with them.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Monroe Gas-Magnum if you don't want to spend the cash. I have a set and they handle 1500+lbs of payload pretty well.

Monroe also has a shock with a helper spring built in, looks very much like a coilover. I can't remember the name off hand.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Monroe Gas-Magnum if you don't want to spend the cash. I have a set and they handle 1500+lbs of payload pretty well.

Monroe also has a shock with a helper spring built in, looks very much like a coilover. I can't remember the name off hand.

I run the load leveling shocks myself. They do give a bit of lift, kind of. My rear leaf springs are worn to hell from dad hauling 10k trailers and 2500lbs of stone and similar loads while i was growing up. 2" level gave me about 1/2-1" ass sag and the load leveling shocks brought it up 2" to be about factory height. They ride pretty good too though they do slightly contact the frame