Springs worn out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have been remodeling my 96 1500 4X2 front end and started to think about the springs. I know springs lose their holding ability. So how do you know when they are bad?

It is not lifted/lowered. I put shocks on about 18k ago. On a smoothish road it rides/sounds great like riding on air. But on not so good roads I feel some up and down bouncing. Nothing terrible but it could be better. I am thinking of replacing the shocks with Bilsteins but do not want them to wear out quickly because of the springs being weak.

New upper and lower control arms bushings, new front sway bushings and links, new steering gear and pitman arm.

Watcha think????

Last edited:

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
As a general rule, it is usually recommended to replace the springs at 100.000 miles or so in order to retain the factory ride height and suspension specificationsl. Springs with over 100,000 on them tend to compress more and lose some of their tension. I believe this is probably true more or less. I'm sure if you had a vehicle that had been driven very gently most of its life, it could still be within factory tolerances. I have always replaced mine at these intervals, stock replacement springs usually aren't very expensive (think $100-$200 range per pair installed). On my hot rods and trucks I have always upgraded my suspensions, using much firmer springs, shocks, and end link bushings than the original.
Dave

OP
OP
HolyRamBatman

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i first got the truck the wheel bearing went out and I came to realize if it is on the truck I need to replace it. The exhaust is 16 yrs. old if that tells you anything.

I did the upper control arm bushings and when I dropped the coils it didn't seem to have resistance. That sparked the question.

Thank you for your response Dave.