Tips for towing across country...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timharpe2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hey, this is my first official post. Oorah. Anyways, I'm utilizing my 2gen to tow my other car across the country on the 40 (I-40) from California to about Tulsa and then I'm heading up to Cincinnati to visit family. From Cinci I'm trekking across the Appalachian Mountains to Fredericksburg Va. Any tips are greatly appreciated. My truck is a 5.2 with 3.55 gears, CAI, Flowmaster 40, Aux Trans cooler, 180 thermostat, Pro Comp Suspension with Helper springs on the rear, brake controller, and upgraded "performance" cap, wires, and autolite plugs. Again, any tip from good places to stop to dangerous spots is appreciated. Thanks

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well welcome to the posting community lol Well from my experience towing cross country you are in an ok spot. Just be prepared to take your time and stop at fuel stops often. I towed a trailer with my 5.9 from Columbus ohio to my house near dayton and then from my house to dallas texas. Only difference other than motor was i had 3.92 gears. So you may be slow getting of the line but once you start to cruise you should be fine. Depending on the size and weight of your car that you are towing will really depict your MPG. Me towing a fully loaded uhaul (the big one) I averaged 8mpg cruising at 65 to 70. Just be safe and plan your fuel stops accordingly.