Tips and tricks to Towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok now I'm not a total noob at towing or pulling but this next pull I have is a little bit unique. So I thought I would start a thread where everyone can put tips and tricks to towing and pulling. We all saw my ranger video and know what not to do. I did See cowboykyle has a vehicle recovery sticky which is awesome. But I didn't see where it applies to what I'm going to be doing. Ok on to the problem. My boss as some of you know acquired this property and we are fixing it up and remodeling it. We have the inside done now we are working on the outside. Had to pull out a tractor stuck in the ground for 12 years. That was easy as pie. a quick tug in 4x pulled it out no issue. Now the big issue. He has a 31ft holiday rambler trailer that is in the same boat as the tractor. Sat for 12 or more years. Sank into the ground. It's a tandem axel and both tires are flat. But the trailer brakes arent seized and the trailer is broke free from the ground. But my question is, when I hook it to the ball on my receiver what is the best way to remove it from its sunken position. I tried moving it with my current ball the other night. Well my 3in drop is too much for the trailer cause it's sitting so low. So I'm getting a 1in to try it. The ball and hitch mate up great. Locks in perfect. No wobble. But should I go with a rocking motion or will that damage the hitch and possibly send it into my tailgate? Or should I just try to pull like normal? Any tips or advice would be great. I am planning on going out there tonight to look at it again and give it another shot.

Thanks RF

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well needless to say I got that camper out. Nuttin 4lo couldn't handle.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was gonna say back up the ram it forward.

Well that's pretty much what I did. I had a camera going but the guy mostly filmed the ground but oh well. Still impressed me how well the truck handled it. Back up Ram forward repeat. Took only about 4 min to get that thing out. Took forever to back it down his lane though. A hundred foot lane with trees on both sides and 3 flat tires falling off the rims. I'll post pics.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yup made me feel good to be able to pull that thing out of the ground. To beat all pretty easy. Looked a lot worse than It actually was.

Here's Pics:

4799275662_4aa060dc41_b.jpg

4798642617_960af4dd2a_b.jpg

4799275068_e248f2211b_b.jpg

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
cross those chains and hammer down!! Slowly lol

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol no doubt. Worked well rockin it though. Still wish I could get some specs on the trailer. I want to know how much it weighs.