Tire question( I know, I know!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 5 Speed
I need to replace the tires the previous owner put on and was wandering about the three optional sizes the 96 1500 came with. If I remember they are 225/75r16, 245/75r16 and 265/75r16.

It has the 265/75r16's on now.

I don't really know **** about tires so what's the difference?

I do haul a 10ft trailer with either my 500 Rubicon and camping gear or dump ****. I don't really speed or off road much if that helps. I like big tires though there probably aint much of a difference between the 3. I just don't want some dinky fukken things. Thanks in advance.

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
The stock tires on my 99 Sport were 265/75/16 which are basically 31" tires.

E-carp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
V10 Magnum
Is your speedo accurate with your current tires? If so, keep with that size.

OP
OP
PotterCountyRam
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 5 Speed
I assume the speedo is accurate. Don't really know or have thought about it. I have a family member who is an officer here in town, I can just ask him to clock me. If he tickets me, I will just punch him in his face at the next cookout lol. I am going to stick with the 265/75r16's. I like those, I just wasn't sure if there was any towing advantage with the others. I'm sure its pretty minimal if there is.

99RAMSPORT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
There are load ranges on the tires too like E or D for example if your going to be pulling a gooeneck or something you probably want E's

E-carp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
V10 Magnum
PotterCountyRam said:
I assume the speedo is accurate. Don't really know or have thought about it. I have a family member who is an officer here in town, I can just ask him to clock me. If he tickets me, I will just punch him in his face at the next cookout lol. I am going to stick with the 265/75r16's. I like those, I just wasn't sure if there was any towing advantage with the others. I'm sure its pretty minimal if there is.

Lol good plan. I normally use my Garmin to check mine. When I bought my 2500, it had smaller than stock tires. I put new Bridgestone load range Es on it in the stock size, and now my speedo reads like 3 or 4 mph over what I'm actually doing.

cu_n_az

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Lol good plan. I normally use my Garmin to check mine. When I bought my 2500, it had smaller than stock tires. I put new Bridgestone load range Es on it in the stock size, and now my speedo reads like 3 or 4 mph over what I'm actually doing.

That's the best way to check. Because of the way that GPS works, speeds it reports are extremely accurate (once you have good satellite lock). Don't forget that many of the newer phones have GPS built in and free speedometer apps are readily available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2