Trailer wiring - 12V line always hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryangrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running RV/Trailer wiring in my 2001 Ram 1500. For the 12V power (slot 4 on the 7-way connector), I'm hooking into what seems to be the appropriate circuit: A6, 12 gauge (Red/Orange) at connector C129 just behind the front driver wheel (I don't have the factory tow package so that is as far back as it goes). However, this is a wire that seems to be hot even if the car is in the off position. I was under the impression that it was best to use a 12V that cut off when the ignition wasn't in the ON position - that way, if you leave your trailer hooked up while the truck isn't running and happen to have the 12V fridge running or something, it doesn't drain your truck battery. But that doesn't seem to be how most wire it up.

When I wired my Sienna minivan, I installed a relay on the 12V line such that it was only hot when the key was in the ON position - I used supply wire to a power outlet in the cargo area as the switch on the relay. However, I'm not aware of any such wire that I could use as a switch in the rear of the Ram.

Thanks for any thoughts.