DPF Delete using SIMS instead of tuner??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
After owning my truck for 3 weeks i am really thinking of deleting the DPF system off my truck.

The Service Manager at my dealership is taking the 'don't ask, don't tell" approach to deleting the DPF as long as it can be done without flashing the ECM.

So, I have been researching ways to remove the DPF system off my '12 with out having to use a tuner. I found that before tuners were available many folks were using SIM plugs (both homemade and purchased) to fool the ECM and keep the regens from initiating. The big plus being that it the truck can easily be returned to stock config in just a few minutes.

What I have read so far is encouraging but I am looking for opinions from my friends here. Does anyone have experience with SIMS on a 6.7??

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Are you wanting to remove the DPF because it is giving you trouble, or because you want more power/mileage?

To get power and mileage, you are going to need the tuner. If you are having issues with your DPF clogging and just want it gone, then the sims should work fine.

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
im also considering going this route, at least for now. from what ive read it works pretty good. you wont see any improvement im power numbers, but mileage gains seem pretty good.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Im not sure deleting shows any overall gains in power but you'll notice more low end power on the seat dyno even being stock

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Are you wanting to remove the DPF because it is giving you trouble, or because you want more power/mileage?

To get power and mileage, you are going to need the tuner. If you are having issues with your DPF clogging and just want it gone, then the sims should work fine.

The truck only has about 1000 miles on it so its not giving any trouble. Mostly I am looking to save my engine from sending all that crap back in the motor. I am content with the MPG and power (for now) so slight gains in MPG and low end power would be bonuses.

A full delete is in my future, i just want to wait a while before going with a tuner and blowing the warranty. $50-$60 for SIMS seems like a small investment to get me through the first year or so.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Honestly, the way the U.S. is going, (which I honestly think is a good thing, even though I'm deleted) if you wait until your warranty is up to delete, it might not be an option/availability of parts/tuners.

EPA is going to start cracking down even harder on companies selling these items, so they're gonna get scarce, and expensive.

IMHO, it's not worth it to delete just with sims. Like these guys have stated, you wont see that MPG or power boost strictly from deleting the emission items. So it'll be bitter-sweet to attempt.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You will see some gains in performance. When I first deleted I ran my tuner on "no power" (stock delete tune) and noticed better performance.. but that only lasted a few min until I upped the power. It would be similar to removing a partly clogged cat thats half the lenght of the exhaust system on a gasser.
Thats essentially what the DPF and NOX are, they trap particles, clog up to a certain point then the pressure sensors detect the restriction and the engine goes into regen.
As far as the SIMs go it'***** and miss when it comes to CEL lights coming on. There won't be anything stored on the ECM such the tune changing or being overridden, but it will store code counts. If it's throwing a code and you clear it it stores that info, which might raise a red flag if the count is high and often. I've never ran SIMs so thats second hand info that i've picked up from research and talking to people. I've heard of dealers replacing "faulty" EGR actuators to fix an issue because

Personally I would ditch the DPF and EGR using SIMs or tuner. The biggest gains will come from preventing the truck from breathing it's own farts (EGR delete) then you might pick up another 1-2mpg by delting the DPF and adding a good tune.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for weighing in guys!! This is why i asked the question here.

I realize that SIMS will not bring much for gains in MPG or power, i am just looking for an initial step to keep some unwanted junk out of the engine until i can put the $$$ away to get the full set up. I just don't have $2000+ that i can part with right now for the full delete/tuner setup. Come tax time next year it will be a different story.

Looks like I still have some thinking to do. Additional comments welcome...

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just thought I would give an update...

I ordered SIMS and DPF delete and finally got it installed last weekend. From start to to clean up it took me about 3 hours. Did it all in my driveway with basic hand tools (5/8" standard and deepwell socket, 9" pliers and an adjustable crescent wrench). It really wasn't that hard just time consuming. Now that it is complete i thought i would share a few things i learned doing the install.

Buy some extra bolts to for attaching the delete pipe to the downpipe (i used 7/16"x1 3/4" grade 8 bolts with lock washers) - Someone mentioned doing this in another thread and i wish i had listened. Half way through I ended up making a run to the local hardware store to pick some up instead of trying to reuse the press in bolts. It made bolting in the delete pipe a snap.

Take special care of at least one of the gaskets between the NOX and the downpipe or DPF - the only place around me that stocks the gaskets is the dealer. I couldn't make it by there before the weekend so i just went for it and hoped for the best. One separated but thankfully the other came loose intact.

WD40 is your friend!! - a little does a lot to help get the DPF separated from the muffler. I fought that thing a good 5 or 10 minutes before spraying the coupler, then it just pulled apart.

Wear some clothes that you plan to throw away - i was amazed at how much soot came out of that thing when i got it off and of course i managed to clean most of it up with the clothes i was wearing. I could not bear the thought of putting all that crap in my washing machine so in the trash they went.

Have a plan for where you are going to put these parts once they are off the truck - Even broken down into separate pieces the are still rather big and somewhat heavy. And they will leave a nice pile of soot any where you set them down.

When using SIMS you need to leave the O2 sensor in the down pipe and move the one from the DPF to the delete pipe and add the 4 SIMS to all the temp sensors. Some may get a CEL or other minor DTCs that can be cleared with a code reader but I did not get any codes at all!!!

I have about 200 miles after the install and the truck drives great. Can definitely tell it is breathing better. I noticed a little drone under heavy throttle but not bad. It wasn't much louder than stock at cruising speed which is a real plus for the family. MPGs this week are up by about 2 MPG according to the EVIC. I will fill up next week and check it by hand.

So far I am very satisfied. Spending $220 and gaining 2 MPGs is pretty hard to beat!!

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Power 247

I will be following your progress.

I too am going to do deletes soon, to stop from hurting my motor, I do not need more HP, I would like better MPG'S.

I do not like the idea of soot going back into my motor.

I had my oil changed before my recent road trip because, the evic said I was due for oil change after only 6k miles since previous oil change.

On my way back home the message came back on telling me I need another oil change after only 1600 miles later.

I was running 60-80 on the interstates depending on speed limit, I think only 40 miles were on secondary roads.

I have not been back to my dealer yet to discuss this problem.

Regards
Don

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I stayed on the fence for a few weeks. Like you probably have read... I can't believe I waited this long. I only had my truck since July and have 6000 miles on it so far. I wish I did this the day I brought it home.

It is pretty straight forward but let me know if you have any questions.

Greg

Last edited:

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hey Greg,

I have almost 12k on my truck now.

I was having o2 sensor problems from the day I picked up my truck from the dealer.

After 3 times for o2 sensor problems I have not had any problems since 1500 miles with o2 problems.

The last oil change I caught some oil to send off to blackstone 1.5 weeks ago when they changed it before my trip but have not had a chance to send it off yet for testing .

My mileage has gone down from 19 to 15mpg, but I carry about 1200 lbs I guess (need to get weighed) when I travel for business carrying tools and spare parts, plus my topper with drawer slide.

I do not understand in what universe putting soot and unburned fuel into any close tolerance motors main oil source could possible be a GOOD idea??!!:wtf2:

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Don

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey Greg,

I have almost 12k on my truck now.

I was having o2 sensor problems from the day I picked up my truck from the dealer.

After 3 times for o2 sensor problems I have not had any problems since 1500 miles with o2 problems.

The last oil change I caught some oil to send off to blackstone 1.5 weeks ago when they changed it before my trip but have not had a chance to send it off yet for testing .

My mileage has gone down from 19 to 15mpg, but I carry about 1200 lbs I guess (need to get weighed) when I travel for business carrying tools and spare parts, plus my topper with drawer slide.

I do not understand in what universe putting soot and unburned fuel into any close tolerance motors main oil source could possible be a GOOD idea??!!:wtf2:

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Don

Woah woah. 19mpg to 15mpg??? 1,200lb pay load should not be dropping you down 4 mpgs.

If I hauled an 11K load through the mountains of Northern AZ and got 13.6mpg (I'm also a longbed) then something is going on.

Did you change your own oil or did someone else do it? I'm guessing the dealer?

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
A little update on the deletes...

It looks like the 2 mpg gain is here to stay :) it's been about a month and the MPGs from my daily commute went from 14.75 to 16.5 hand calculated! I will take it on a road trip next week. If I can keep the 2 MPG gain on a highway trip I will be very very happy.

tap tap tappa-roo

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is from a trip I took back in August.

Dallas, TX to Lake Charles, LA at 65-70mph

69B-EB02089A6DE0-1035-00000094239B3B3A_zps1353a4ec.jpg

The LIE-O-METER was only off my .1mpg after I hand calculated it.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is from a trip I took back in August.

Dallas, TX to Lake Charles, LA at 65-70mph

The LIE-O-METER was only off my .1mpg after I hand calculated it.

Nice!!! If I can get that on my trip next week i will be very happy...

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
WhiteRam/Power247

Have you guys also deleted the cat?

I go to get my truck back from the dealer tomorrow,I will post what I find out.

Depending on what my dealer says I am either headed for dealer buy back or deletes.

Thanks Guys.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I left the cat on mine and only deleted the DPF and NOx. I left the cat so it would be easier to put it all back if needed.

tap tap tappa-roo

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Greg

Thanks for the fast response, glad to hear this went well for you!