GDP Air-Boss CR Intake Plenum Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

Anybody know much about it? From what ive read its more about quicker spool up and lower EGTs(at least for in the restricted cylinders).

Since its higher up and I need to retain my oem grid heater do you think I would have issues getting my stock intake tube from the inter-cooler onto the AFE intake?

Not sure if I should add it to my list.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The item description in your link states that they also offer a plenum that retains the use of the factory grid heater...and another option that allows you to switch them back and forth for summer/winter when the grid heater isnt needed.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The item description in your link states that they also offer a plenum that retains the use of the factory grid heater...and another option that allows you to switch them back and forth for summer/winter when the grid heater isnt needed.

right but they say that it comes with a "shortened" grid heater delete so OEM and aftermarket horns will work.

They dont say anything about how it works with the oem grid heater that is taller then there delete with this plenum. The plenum is actually taller to provide more airflow.

And im not as worried about fit as I am egts and spool up.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What're your ultimate goals?? If you're running a big ass single with some hefty sized nozzles I'd consider it, but if you plan on going another route I wouldn't waste the money lol.

To be honest, spool and EGT's aren't gonna be an issue if you plan on doing EFI Live. I've seen an 06 run a 66mm with 50hp sticks that had almost instantaneous spool with EFI

Last edited:
OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
What're your ultimate goals?? If you're running a big ass single with some hefty sized nozzles I'd consider it, but if you plan on going another route I wouldn't waste the money lol.

To be honest, spool and EGT's aren't gonna be an issue if you plan on doing EFI Live. I've seen an 06 run a 66mm with 50hp sticks that had almost instantaneous spool with EFI

well I plan on big power 800+ if I cant get more. Not sure on turbos yet. Twins will happen, still waiting to see how these new triples are working out but triples may be beyond my reach. I need quick spool for off roading, cant have much lag. EFI live will happen at some point but it will be one of the last things since is expensive and very very custom to what your running. Dont want to bite that bullet more then once......

Already got my airdog 165 and duel CP3s so im covered for a good amount of fuel. Just need to kinda start planing the air side of things for when my trans is built to deal with the power. I might even attempt to have my head machined down and get one of the side fire intakes. Found a company close to home town that has it in there shop truck, so I might drop the coin to get it done when im back home some time.

Just trying to figure out what to do. This plenum cover would happen a hell of a lot sooner then the side intake mod.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Where the hell is my name in that sig ^^ LOL

Reece you know if you are concerned about the EGT's we have spoke about a ****/water set up like I used on my 24v. You need me .. just holler

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yeah you might need some ext injection system. But hot damn if you plan on makin that much power you're gonna have to dig deeeep into that trans and engine.

Things you're gonna need to make that much power:
Studs
Fire rings
Valve springs
Rods
Cam
(I hear Hamilton makes the best of the 3 I mentioned above)
A bad motha f***** trans- goerend or garmon (hands down)

The rest is all power stuff...larger Twins/trips, 150-200HP nozzles, intercooler, twin rail feed, and some bad ass tuning to put it all together

I might have left some stuff out, but I'm sure you're pretty set on your build anyway.

I wouldn't waste the money on that glacier part. If you're gonna mod that side of the engine might as well do it right with this ;)
http://www.hellmannperformance.com/...e/hellmann-performance-billet-intake-manifold

Last edited:
OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Where the hell is my name in that sig ^^ LOL

Reece you know if you are concerned about the EGT's we have spoke about a ****/water set up like I used on my 24v. You need me .. just holler

lol sorry Dave ive only added part brands to the sig but that can be changed. Ive been thinking water/**** for a while just dont know how easy it would be to get the actual water/**** on a somewhat regular basis. Thats all that is holding me back. And as far as EGT, im not worried about them yet but the time will come that it will be needed to be delt with. you know your my guy. By the way what trans companies do you supply for?

Yeah you might need some ext injection system. But hot damn if you plan on makin that much power you're gonna have to dig deeeep into that trans and engine.

Things you're gonna need to make that much power:
Studs
Fire rings
Valve springs
Rods
Cam
(I hear Hamilton makes the best of the 3 I mentioned above)
A bad motha f***** trans- goerend or garmon (hands down)

The rest is all power stuff...larger Twins/trips, 150-200HP nozzles, intercooler, twin rail feed, and some bad ass tuning to put it all together

I might have left some stuff out, but I'm sure you're pretty set on your build anyway.

I wouldn't waste the money on that glacier part. If you're gonna mod that side of the engine might as well do it right with this ;)
Billet Intake Manifold — Hellmann Performance – Intercoolers and Custom Fabrication – Richmond Texas

oh yeah after the trans is finished the second big project all at once is
studs
springs
push rods
injectors
rockers
exh man
turbo(s)
cam
intercooler

at the end of it all or at least close to it EFI will bring it all together. O rings for fire rings will be done at some point but its still a ways off. And the hp rating in my end goal, its not going to be a next month kinda thing. All in stages.

And at this point ill be doing the install of all of it to try and save coin....and just to have a little fun getting dirty. :D

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Being honest, I think this plenum cover should be towards the bottom of your list. With proper fueling, turbo selection, and tuning, spooling shouldnt be much of an issue...and the drop in EGT's from this isnt going to be a huge factor as long as you choose your turbo/turbos and injector sizes correctly.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Definitely... It's stages for all of us lol! Cheap and diesel performance are two words that are not to be used in the same sentence... Like the old diesel performance proverb:

"Cheap, Reliable, Powerful.... You can only pick two."

All I'm gonna say is when it comes to buying hard parts for your truck, don't skimp out just to save a little coin. Research and find out what the best parts are for each individual area of the truck... When it comes to making that much power, a weak link could end catastrophic.