H&S Mini Maxx 5.9 CR Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've put a few tuners through my 2007 5.9, ranging from a smarty jr. (revo), smarty sr (TNT), EFI Live autocal (canned), and now this H&S performance product.

Over all pros-built in gauges, shift on the fly, transmission tuning, defueling settings, read and clear DTCs, and that's all i can think of at the moment.

Over all cons- it looks pretty shnazzy, so I'm scared someone might try to steal it mistaking it for something else, initial download process is the longest and I believe that's it.

Mileage:
I've been using the Mini Maxx for the past 3 weeks and have finally killed a full tank of (HWY) diesel with an awesome MPG average of 22.1 80%HWY/20%CITY. The programmer was set on wild (120HP) and low boost fooling was set on 3/4 (amount of fuel pushed while boost is low). The smarty jr. gave me around 17-21MPG, Smarty sr. 18-19 (the short time that I used it), and EFI gave me around 20 on the street tune.
*H&S

Power:
I was VERY impressed with the power this programmer produced. Going from EFI I was prepared for disappointment, but boy was I wrong. Before I filled my truck up for the MPG test, I took it out to a nice smooth back road. The power on the Hot Damn tune (200HP) was pretty ridiculous; if you aren't prepared for the launch, it'll hurt you. It definitely felt like the 1028 ft/lbs of torque the tune was dynoed at.
Although this tune was extremely powerful, it ran about 300* hotter than EFI and the power just didn't feel as smooth through the RPM band. You could feel every bit of intense power from 0-45PSI of boost, where as on the mini maxx it felt good from 0-9PSI,but from 10+... My pants were fitting a little tight.
*EFI

Smoke:
I'm sure most of you will know the answer to this one.... H&S smoked like freight train while EFI was clean as a whistle.

The verdict: I'm keeping the H&S on my DD until I finish my truck, then go back to EFI Live for custom work.

What really won me over is the shift on the fly capabilites and transmission tuning. It's awesome to be able to cruise around in mild (60HP), and when all of a sudden some powerchoke wants to play, turn the SOB up to Hot (200HP) in a matter of seconds. It felt ugly with the smarty's and EFI when cruising for economy... I was always terrified I was gonna get smacked down by another car because I wasn't running my full potential tune.

The transmission tuning is great! The shifts feel a little firmer, but the greatest part is the ability to control the lock of the torque converter in 3rd or 4th gear, rather than it locking in 4th gear uncontrollably. To explain it better this is how stock shifting happens:
1-2-3-4-4lock

What I can do now:
1-2-3-3lock-4lock
1-2-3-3lock-4-4lock

And as you can imagine, for towing and racing it helps quite a bit. However, to do the 3lock-4lock at 50+% throttle you need a billet TC and Billet input shaft or you'll tear some **** up.

If you have any question, feel free to post!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
While the hot damn tune does smoke like crazy I hadn't noticed to much on the wild and none on the mild setting.
It is very nice IMO to be able to drive around economically on the 60hp mild tune with any smoke but have that option (coal rolling does get kindof old when you black out every intersection)

What kind of EGTs did you see?
Are you going to keep the H&S for the trans tuning once you go EFI

Being stolen was one of the things I was worried about as well, my girlfriends dad typically leaves his truck unlocked no matter where he goes and it's still auctioned cupped to his windshield 2 years later
He also averages 22-24 mpg, making it from PA to Chicago and back to central Ohio on a single tank of fuel before

Another pro which I'm not sure if your other tuners can do is the ability to set the fog lights to stay on with high beams

There is talks of more customized tuning from H&S that will make it similar to EFI, I can only hope as I'm a huge fan of the company and it's customer service

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I knew you would test her out ... lol

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It really is sweet... I now feel prepared for anything haha. On a WOT run I was seeing a little over 1600 by the time I hit 100MPH, which isn't horrible, but definitely not good lol.

As soon as I go back to EFI I'm ditching the system as whole and gonna make a lock up switch which basically does the same thing.. Just not as convenient lol. But like you said, these H&S tuners are the real deal.. economy, power, and stylish lol. You're talking about MCC... Right now it's only available for the 07-09 6.7 and the 6.4 powerchoke though :(

I had to Dave... I always heard Cody swear by their stuff, so I had to see what was going on over there lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It really is sweet... I now feel prepared for anything haha. On a WOT run I was seeing a little over 1600 by the time I hit 100MPH, which isn't horrible, but definitely not good lol.

As soon as I go back to EFI I'm ditching the system as whole and gonna make a lock up switch which basically does the same thing.. Just not as convenient lol. But like you said, these H&S tuners are the real deal.. economy, power, and stylish lol. You're talking about MCC... Right now it's only available for the 07-09 6.7 and the 6.4 powerchoke though :(

I had to Dave... I always heard Cody swear by their stuff, so I had to see what was going on over there lol

:naughty:
I guess you can do most of the stuff the mini maxx does with your iQuad once you go to EFI

Theres no argueing that EFI is the way to go for big power but I think H&S is a great option for people who are looking for big power but still pull heavy and often

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The H&S does what the iQuad can do plus more! lol

Yeah H&S is without a doubt a top dog in the 5.9 and 6.7 world. It hands down ran better than MADS programmers, plus does 10x more. I really can't wait to add the twins, injectors, and modded CP3 so I can dyno it already... I'm really curious as to how many ponies of a difference dynoed EFI will be over the Hot tune. I'm gonna be pissed if it's not more than a 50HP difference...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Well all in all you need more stuff you let me know .. I will hook ya up again

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You're my go to guy man... I'm still debating on a bag o parts or twin cp3 kit... Regardless of what i decide with, you'll be hearing from me. Quick question... Do you sell tires? lol

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Um ya .. any tire you want .. LOL where have you been ?? PM me

Also .. talk to Reece ... he bought a ATS twin CP3 from me and LOVES IT .

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I wish H&S would come out with their tuner for the 05 5.9 already. I will pick one up in no time and ditch the smarty.

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
PM heading your way...

Yeah I like the mini maxx way more than the TNT... Doesn't smoke as much and feels much more torquey. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard H&S' tunes are built using EFI Live. Again, this is something I read, but if it's true that might be why it's only available for the 06-07 models

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
True .. ^^

I had to take a test before becoming a H&S vendor . They dont just let anyone sell them for a reason .

And PM returned bud .

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Could be, according to h&s they are working on developing one for the 05. and yeah the TNT smokes like crazy, i use the revo and keep it low.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
PM heading your way...

Yeah I like the mini maxx way more than the TNT... Doesn't smoke as much and feels much more torquey. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard H&S' tunes are built using EFI Live. Again, this is something I read, but if it's true that might be why it's only available for the 06-07 models

I wouldn't doubt they look into the EFI tunes now but they were in the cummins first lol

Pre 05 don't use the same CANBUS computers that 06-present do
That's the set back with both companies and why neither company has pre05 support
They just can't do what they can on te pre 05s through the OBDII as post 06

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
well you and dave sold me, you can add me to the list of H&S users. thanks dave.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
They started using a CAN Bus system in 06 which is a type of serial communication system that allows every censor to communicate with the ECM/PCM basically through a single wire or dual wire connection
Its a much simpler communication, faster and cleaner

Why you dont see wiring harnesses with so many different colors of wires anymore

It doesnt mean that electronic gauges arent/shift on the fly tuners arent possible for pre-05 its just a much more complicated system