Horsepower Guide Line CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
For example, you could grab the highest setting on your programmer to make 500HP on a dyno run but for longevity you would be better off with a set of 50HP Injectors and a lower setting on the tuner.

Bear in mind that even though Dodge says your truck is 325HP for the 04.5-07 they are quoting flywheel horsepower, not rear wheel horsepower. On a dyno, the actual rear wheel horsepower for these trucks is about 270HP. Please don't get sucked into the trap of adding all of the manufacturer stated horsepower gains for the individual products together to estimate your horsepower. This will only lead to disappointment!

This is just a general guideline for the Commonrail 5.9 (03-07) Cummins motors. Some of the brands here are just the recommended.. Example-smarty+TS mp8 stack. However- 06-07, go with EFI Live.

300 Horsepower
Cold Air Intake
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Boost Fooler
Mads Smarty Jr. if you want to be on the higher side of 300HP
Recommended Drivetrain Upgrades
Automatic: non-necessary
Manual: non-necessary

400 Horsepower
Cold Air Intake
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Boost Fooler
Programmer
ISSPRO or AutoMeter Factory Match Gauge Package
Automatic: Minimum would be a Valve Body. Ideally you would add a billet Single Disc Torque Converter.
Manual: Valair HD Spring Hub Kevlar single disc clutch. 05.5 and up trucks with the G56 Transmission will need a hydraulic upgrade.

500 Horsepower
Cold Air Intake
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Turbo upgrade
Exhaust Manifold
60 HP Injector Nozzles+
Smarty S-06
Boost Fooler
Airdog or FASS 150
Upgraded CP3
ISSPRO or AutoMeter Factory Match Gauges
Automatic: Torque Single or Triple Disc Torque Converter and Valve Body (Recommend billet input shaft with Triple Disc Converter)
Manual: Valair Kevlar/Ceramic Single Disc Clutch or Valair Spring Hub Dual Disc Clutch with organic facings.
05.5 and up trucks with the G56 Transmission will need a hydraulic upgrade.

600 Horsepower
Cold Air Intake
Smarty TNT
TS Performance MP-8
GDP Air Boss Intake Plenum
Intercooler
4" or 5" Turbo Back Exhaust
exhaust manifold
Large Single or Compound turbos
Upgraded CP3 or Twin
AirDog II DF-165 Demand Flow fuel pump or FASS
ARP Head Studs if you plan on running boost pressures over 45PSI
90-120 HP Custom Injector Nozzles
intake manifold
Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection
Diesel Pros Killer B Cam
ISSPRO gauge package that includes fuel pressure, rail pressure, pyro and boost.
Recommended Drivetrain Upgrades:
Automatic: Triple Disc Converter, Valve Body, Billet Input Shaft, Billet Output Shaft or full built race transmission
Manual: Valair Spring Hub Dual Disc with full ceramic facings or kevlar/ceramic for the daily driver/heavy towing/drag racing. If you are planning on sled pulling on a regular basis you would want to step up to the Valair 13" Dual Disc with bronze inserts rated to 800HP.

700 Horsepower
Cold Air Intake
Smarty TNT stacked with TS Performance MP-8
GDP Air Boss Intake Plenum
Intercooler
5" Turbo Back Exhaust
Large Single turbo or Compound set up
exhaust manifold
Dual Cp3
Airdog or FASS
ARP Head Studs
100-150HP Custom Injector Nozzles
intake manifold
Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection
Diesel Pros Killer B Cam
ISSPRO gauge package that includes fuel pressure, rail pressure, pyro and boost
Automatic: Full built race transmission with Triple Disc converter, billet input and output shafts
Manual: Valair 13" Dual Disc with bronze inserts rated to 800HP

800 Horsepower
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Automatic: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Manual: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-DPP

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
In my experiences with manuals if your looking for anymore then 40 hp over stock you should really have an aftermarket clutch.
The stock one will slip with anything more then typical acceleration and won't last long.

I've also been under the impression that over 500hp you should go to a 5" system.
I've honestly never done much research on it so I'd like to here what you guys think

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I think for a constant 500HP, from a mild to max effort tuning you'd need one. But if you're an occasional 500HP, depending on tuning, the 4" should flow plenty. When I drop the twins in the truck I'm doing a 5"