Options for DPF removal as far as tuners go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad just picked up an 07 QCLB 6 speed, 4x4. 6.7L. I have done some reading and it appears that due to the government crackdown, no new tuners are being sold with the capability to disable the DPF after it has been 'deleted.' EGR deletion is still no problem from what I've seen. EFI Live and the Smarty or Smarty Jr. seem to be the most popular options from what I've seen on the Cummins sites. I know a guy running the H&S mini maxx on the exact same truck except shortbed and automatic trans. But I saw that thread on here about them not doing the delete tuning anymore. Also, I know he is not going to want to run a straight pipe. What are some good hi-flow mufflers out there?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You still can get h&s tuners that support deletes. Unfortunately the price is sky rocketing on them. Partially due to the fact that you can get custom tuning. Check cummins forum's or Ford powestroke forum's to find used one's or check out draconian diesel for new ones. With some digging you can come across new "street" versions that allow deletes. Smarty is the next best option. Or if tuning isn't a big deal and just want to delete check out rolling smoke diesel. He sells Sims that will allow you to by pass the dpf and run with or without a tuner.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
An aftermarket high flow muffler doesn't really buy you much unless there is something wrong with the stock one on there now. The stock muffler is really just a drone resonator and doesn't even have any baffles in it. Any aftermarket diesel exhaust that has a muffler/resonator will be basically the same design.

For EGR delete... being an '07.5 you can just unplug the EGR and as long as you don't mind the CEL there are no ill effects.

To delete the DPF you have a few options...
1. Get a DPF delete pipe w/ bungs and SIMS. Keeping the factory downpipe cuts down on the noise and the smell (a little). The SIMS plug in where the DPF temp sensors would. They give the ECM a DPF over temp reading which keeps the truck from going into regen. The bungs in the delete pipe are for O2 sensors. You can do the install yourself in the driveway in about an hour. This is very budget friendly option (under $300) and is what I started with.

2. Get a DPF delete pipe w/o bungs and use a tuner. Pretty much same as option 1 except you are using a tuner to disable the regens so you don't need SIMS.

Being an '07.5 you have several tuner options to pick from... none of which are hard to find if you know where to look. Ebay has tons of options. H&S is about tops, lots of features and custom tuning is available for a price but comes at a premium price. There are still some Smarty's out there and MADs still supports them but new ones are getting harder to find. RaceME (what I am currently running) is basically a rebranded Smarty... there are some minor differences but not much. Not as many features as an H&S but can usually be found new for 1/3 or 1/2 less than an H&S. I believe EFI Live is available too but I don't know much about it since it does not work on my '12.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Older versions of H&S tuners would be your best bet if you want plug and play. Other options are the old Smarty tuners.

Easier and cheaper options may be EFIlive, RaceME tuners and there are SIMS deletes if he isnt really looking for performance

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As the others have mentioned, he has several options. Do you know if he simply just wants tuning to delete or if he's interested in gauges and a bit more power?
I will be selling my "race version" tuner with an overhead mount here in the next few days.

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. NWRQC, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the gauges since he is used to quite of few on the dash of a Pete 379. Its just the plumbing that i think would be aggravating if he wanted to gauges. I will see what he thinks about adding some power though.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Most of the gauges are read through the trucks computer so there isn't any more wires or lines to run unless you install an egt probe

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, he is old school and doesn't quite grasp the need for a tuner. So maybe the sim is the best route unless I can convince him otherwise. Keep in mind he is going from an '89 D250 with a 12v and 160 hp, lol. This truck will do in 4th gear what that 1 would do pegged out. I don't see the sims listed on rollin smoke's website, do I need to call and talk with someone?

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
some late 3rd gen guys on another forum seem to have issues with just unplugging the egr, hit or miss from what i've read. If he's looking for simplicity, a smarty jr. would be a good choice as it doesn't have to remain connected to the vehicle. It'll also handle both dpf and egr deletes and prevent any CELs for those systems. Otherwise, as others have posted, SIMS with a dpf delete pipe, and an egr unplug are about your only options. carbonitecummins has some good info and how-to's with pics. Good luck!

edit: the cat and nox are more effective "mufflers" than the actual muffler, as stated above, the muffler is really just a big resonator.

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
XDP is excellent to do business with. Where ever you get them just make sure you get the 100ohm SIMS... Some places still have 330ohm ones but the 100s work better. They should not light a CEL but will throw a 'soft' code that a reader will pick up. Its pulling the plug on the EGR that lights the CEL.

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, did some more research And I have concluded that the Smarty Jr is the way to go. 1. Cost and 2. Simplicity. If i can operate a superchip flashpaq I think I can handle a Smarty jr. I'm still at home so I can walk dad through it. What do you do with the sensors when you install the dpf delete w/o bungs? And is it better to get one with flanges or without? (slip type) and lastly, are there 2 different lengths to choose from? One that deletes the cats and one that does not?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The CAT is in the Down pipe so you would need a full turbo back exhaust if you want to remove that as well. The two lengths are probably for the DPF and NOX, they are different lengths.
Check out diamond eye exhaust, they sell complete 4" or 5" exhaust systems for a pretty decent price.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Working a Smarty Jr/RaceME is almost exactly like using a Superchips Flashpaq. I have the RaceME and it is a nice unit. Plug it in, set your tune, unplug the unit and go.

Like NWRQC said.... For the exhaust you have basically 3 choices....

1. DPF delete pipe only - replaces only the DPF and NOx
2. DPF delete with down pipe - replaces DPF, NOx and CAT
3. Full TBE (turbo back exhaust) - replaces all above plus muffler and tailpipe
I went with the DPF delete pipe only because I wanted to keep the factory cat and muffler/resonator. This is also the quietest of the 3 choices. I used Flo~Pro but pretty much all the major companies have good products.

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, crawled under the truck today and I think maybe it already has sims on it for the dpf delete. The CAT is right after the turbo right? There are 4 sensors going into the pipe, starting at the wrapped part. Here is some pictures. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390510638.279391.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390510653.998787.jpg

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry tapatalk made me double post so i edited it

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Looks like your pops is all set. Nothing left worth deleting under there now :)

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok one more question. Any of you that have done the deletes experienced a rattle in the exhaust? It may be the cat itself, but it only does it between 700 and 1200 rpm.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
loose hanger or possibly something touching the crossmember? Crawl under there and have someone hold the rpm in that range and see if you can figure out what's making noise. Obviously, do this when the truck is COLD....touching a hot exhaust pipe is no bueno.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963