Overheating issues on 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20115500WorkHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys,

Have had two issues of overheating with our new 5500, mostly when towing.

First time was towing a mini excavator, truck weighs in around 20,000 lbs loaded, towing weight is around 18,500 lbs. It went full scale overheat this day and the light came on, took it to the Dealer the next day and they "adjusted the fan speed/time on" so they claim, didn't think that was possible with a clutch fan but OK.

Second time was towing a trailer loaded with PVC pipe, probably no more than 2,000 lbs total towing weight.

AC was on both times, and pulling a semi long grade.

Wouldn't think this would be an issue but it has been hot the last few weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Did you check to make sure you don't have a faulty radiator or something?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Again I would take it back to the dealer as im sure it is still under warranty .

OP
OP

20115500WorkHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Again I would take it back to the dealer as im sure it is still under warranty .

Yes, correct, but we had to call a few Dealers just to fit it in (only Certified Dealers are able to work on this thing :rolleyes:), for something major it would take a week or more to get it looked at, this truck can't have down time at the moment lol

You never know on these mass produced cars and trucks now lol

Very true :jester:

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
We've only got 1600 on our 2011 and I've not seen anything close to what you're talking about. It does run a little warm for a diesel I'll grant you that, but not warm enough to raise concerns. We've been idling it quite a bit over the last week with the 90+ weather and have had no issues. Looks like the dealer is your only option on these trucks because A. they are new and B. I've not heard a thing regarding an issue like that on any of the diesel sites I'm on...

houseofdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ram's with High Output prome to OVERHEAT

So recently one a trip from Cali to Texas my '12 Ram overheated in LA. I desperately searched the forums to help diagnose the issue. My 2012 is a manual so not a high output, but is tuned so running numbers equal to or just above the HO 6.7. Stupid thing was engine temp was just fine driving like a maniac over the grape vine. Problem didn't start until hitting the little grade after Santa Clarita. Once over the grade and resending down to catch the 210 the motor would not cool from 240 even though the fan clutch was working as designed. After reading several threads about blown gaskets and such I feared the worst but decided to change the thermostat before throwing $$$ at a stealership. As suspected that was the issue. Now I first noticed the motor was having issues staying cool over the Summer when on a run from Cali to Florida with 15k in tow. Upon hitting any grade and pushing over 10 psi of boost the coolant would start to run up to 220 and would fight cooling unless I kept the boost under 10 psi. It is clear that in the desire to keep the engine at 210 as the optimal temp for emissions as opposed to 190 like the 5.9 they have pushed the envelope too far. Anyone not realizing due to not having exact reading would never realize the excessive temperatures warping their motor parts. Luckily I noticed it early and was able to remedy the problem with a 190 thermostat. I am still planning on adding a larger radiator down the road, but that will only help so much. Anyone that thinks to the contrary, Chrysler has now engineered a dual radiator for the 2014 HO Cummins in order to eliminate this problem going forward. I might not have known if it weren't for 6.0's having a similar design flaw. Most of their head issues are due to inefficient cooling as well just with the oiling system outpacing the coolant system.