Turbo gurus - need help on choosing right turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
hey guys, ok so its definitely turbo time for my truck, and i know i want to go with an Industrial Injection turbo. Just not sure which one is right pick for me. Heres what currently done to my truck as well as what i may do in future and what i plan to do with the truck. Its a 2001 HO 6 spd truck.

Edge COMP hot unlock
7x.011 injectors (150s-ish)
3 pc exhaust manifold
O ringed head
ARP studs
AFE bladerunner intake horn
head ported/polished
FASS 150
4" DP to 5" exhaust

Thats main mods done to engine. Also has a SBC 3600 Dual Disc clutch in it.

As far as how itll be driven etc, itll be a "hot street" truck, meaning lots of playing around etc. Itll be used to occasionally tow trailers, rarely exceeding 10k lbs, but sometimes. I also am going to have it on both the drag track as well as the transfer sled track. So i need a turbo thatll be able to compete with those guys.

As far as future mods go, ill be possibly, if not definitely upgrading from my 7x.011s to an injector closer to the 200-220 range, i also will be eventually adding a smarty to stack with my edge. i WILL in the near future being a cam swap as well as upgraded valve springs and push rods.

As far as driveability, i want a turbo that can EASILY handle everything ive mentioned without worry of breakage etc. Basically, i want something strong. I dont mind having some turbo lag, however i dont want it to be a complete dog until like 2500 RPM. I also want something that i know will keep my EGTs down in a manageable range.

Im looking into the Super Phatshaft and Silver Bullet series turbos, however, they dont give all specs for both lines of turbos in diff sizes. So if you know know all the tech info on these turbos, itd be greatly appreciated if you could share that with me.

Thanks guys! Hope ive given all info i need to help make the right choice!

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not as up to speed on the 5.9's, but Industrial uses the same turbo on their 5.9 and 6.7 kits. The SB66 has a 66mm compressor 80mm turbine with a 13cm or 14 exhaust housing and I think it's good for about 650hp . If you are wanting to stay with II I would go that route, but if you are looking at swapping the cam you may want a larger turbo.
You may want to look into the 400 frame BW turbo's such as the S467.7.....
It seems to be the best all around turbo for towing and playing..

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
i went the super phatshaft 64.....i dont have the fuel to feed a 66 and the 64 will still work welll for towing.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Good choice. The 6.7's spool that big 66mm turbo a lot easier than the 5.9's do...and without a lot of fuel, it is going to lag pretty bad. I think you made the right call going with the 64mm.