'13 Moe's catch can install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
So, Thursday I ordered my catch can from Moes and to my amazement, it was sitting on the porch this afternoon, so I set out to install it. 10 minutes later I was done!

I found that I didn't need the spacer it comes with. I'm not 100% sure what it's for, but I have no clearance issues. I actually prefer it without so I didn't use it.

This catch can is awesome, but the bracket is even more impressive IMO. Well worth the 134 bucks.

2ademydy.jpg

e2y9etes.jpg

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, Thursday I ordered my catch can from Moes and to my amazement, it was sitting on the porch this afternoon, so I set out to install it. 10 minutes later I was done!

I found that I didn't need the spacer it comes with. I'm not 100% sure what it's for, but I have no clearance issues. I actually prefer it without so I didn't use it.

This catch can is awesome, but the bracket is even more impressive IMO. Well worth the 134 bucks.

2ademydy.jpg

e2y9etes.jpg

Hail to the BT Zee bracket! :emotions33:

Glad you like something on a RAM ;-}

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Glad you like it. We include the spacer because there were a few trucks that had the can touching the wire loom that runs in front of the valve cover. It is no problem, but it would leave very fine scuff marks on the can when you would unscrew it. If yours isn't touching, then I would just leave it as is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chewy

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yeah, mine may be slightly touching the wire loom, but it's got the corrugated plastic covering over it, and if it scratches the can on the back side where no one can see it, I don't care.

Thanks!

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
Are the tubes supposed to be crossed like that or does it matter which nipple they are put on. In other words, is the flow directional or not? My guess is no its not directional.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It is ok for them to be crossed. The inside of the catch can is not directional, so it doesn't matter which hose goes to the front or back. I personally think it looks a little cleaner with the front hose going straight to the TB, and the rear hose going to the back of the manifold.

OP
OP
Chewy

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The pipes wanted to go the way I put them on and since it's not a show truck, I could care less. I put them on the way that seemed more natural for the hose.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks nice.... just noticed you got your truck, from what i can see it looks very nice. i know you had been waiting a while

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Awesome Chris, just caught this thread and I'm glad you find the catch can worth while.

SuperRam09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I must have been living under a rock for a while but what's a catch can and what does it do..?

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Same here, I'm missing the concept of the catch can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Your truck has a PCV system which is basically a vent for the crankcase. As your crankcase builds pressure, that pressure is released via a hose that then routes that oil and vapor back into your intake manifold under the throttle body. This is in turn dumping oil into your intake manifold. Not only does this oil build up on everything inside the motor, but when that oil mixes with the fuel in your intake manifold it lowers the overall octane rating of the fuel. Lower octane fuel can lead to poor performance, mileage, and engine knock in hot climates or when running advanced timing with a tuner.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like Ram needs to address this issue.

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like Ram needs to address this issue.

I might be wrong, but I think almost all vehicles have some sort of similar system as it is an emissions thing. Not much Ram can do about federal emissions standards.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Correct. This is not a Ram issue, it is just something that all new car manufacturers are having to work against. Years ago, the vent hose used to just drip on the highway, but now the EPA says they don't want that oil back on the road. Their fix was for force it to be burned off through the motor. Our solution to that is the catch can though. Looks great under the hood, will protect your motor in the long run, and can offer better mileage and performance by keeping that oil out of your intake manifold.

Pckrfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
okay........ since I am new.... I think I can get away with this question. Why would I need a catch can? What does it do?

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay........ since I am new.... I think I can get away with this question. Why would I need a catch can? What does it do?

Search is your friend - I think this question has been covered, 7 times just in the last week including in the body of this POST. You will find multiple posts with lots of good info. :drink_nl:

OP
OP
Chewy

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8

It catches the oil that comes out of the PCV system and instead of it going in the intake and being burned by the engine, puts it in a can that you dump.

The problem with pumping it into the intake is it really dirty's up the TB and intake plenum.

Chris