TB and Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Matt,
I just needed some help to decide, and I know you are the person to come talk to whenever that happens.
I have a '03 4.7L, and I just installed a K&N 57 CAI.
Next Im looking for maybe exhaust, and definitely TB and Tuner.
Ive heard that your 85s wont fit on my engine.
What would you suggest me as far as these mods ?
(Or if you have any other ideas)

Thank you

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would definately look into a tuner as your next mod. You cant beat the Superchips Flashpaq 3865 for its performance and ease of use. If you want to try to pull every last hp out of your motor, then I would get in touch with Hemifever about writing a custom tune for you. The Superchips is $329, and you would have to contact Hemifever for his pricing on a custom tune.

As for throttle bodies, our 85mm and 87mm TB's are hemi specific. We are trying out some new port designs for the 4.7's, but we have not finalized anything yet. I believe Fastman and F&B both offer ported throttle bodies for your truck.

Exhaust is nice if you want the sound, but it isnt going to show any drastic HP improvements.

Next mod to consider would be some 4.56 gears. The 4.7's respond great to 4.56's.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definately look into a tuner as your next mod. You cant beat the Superchips Flashpaq 3865 for its performance and ease of use. If you want to try to pull every last hp out of your motor, then I would get in touch with Hemifever about writing a custom tune for you. The Superchips is $329, and you would have to contact Hemifever for his pricing on a custom tune.

As for throttle bodies, our 85mm and 87mm TB's are hemi specific. We are trying out some new port designs for the 4.7's, but we have not finalized anything yet. I believe Fastman and F&B both offer ported throttle bodies for your truck.

Exhaust is nice if you want the sound, but it isnt going to show any drastic HP improvements.

Next mod to consider would be some 4.56 gears. The 4.7's respond great to 4.56's.

Thank you so much. That helps a lot.
I was actually looking at that tuner. So I just need to plug it in, and thats it ?Can I use it first, and if I want more, talk to Hemifever ?

Honestly, Im not in a hurry for the TB. And Id rather stick with yours, I know I can trust your products ;) Do you know when you`ll begin selling the ones for 4.7L ?

Was thinking about gears too. What rates am I looking for that ?

Thank you again

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I`m maybe gonna put a 3" suspension kit with 33" or 35" tires later on.
4.56s still the best ?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Its still going to be another 6 months probably before we have the early 4.7 TB's ready. Right now we just finished up the 2013 hemi trucks and are in the process of working on the 08-up 4.7 TB's.

As for gears, I would definately stay with the 4.56's if you are planning to go up in tire size. I'm not sure if you are 2wd or 4wd.
-2wd trucks only need the rear gears and an install kit - $290.98 shipped.
-4wd trucks will also need the front gears and install kit which are $404.98 shipped.
-Total for front and rear would be $695.96 shipped.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2WD, so luckily a little cheaper.
I think I`ll wait for your TB.
So you have all of these parts right ?
Will the tuner re-adapt if I put it before the TB ?

Count me in if you need a 3rd gen 4.7L to try your TB :p

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes, the tuner and gears are in stock. The Superchips will work with all your basic boltons. I ran the same tuner on my 03 hemi with intake, throttle body, longtube headers, and a small cam.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It is a great deal. The standard Flashpaq is $329, so to get the Vivid for only $20 more would be a great buy IMO.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I have to worry about it being locked to VIN # whatsoever ?
What are advantages of this one over the flashpaq ?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I posted in the other thread, but I will post it here as well. Sil has been around these forums for about 10 years now, and has proven to be a very honest guy over the years. If he says it is not vin locked, then I would trust him 100%. Its always a risk when buying a used tuner from a newer member, but Sil is not the type of guy that would try to sell off a vin locked tuner.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im convinced now :)
Just a question once I get it. Im used to get 91 octane gas. However I saw the tuner only has a 89 perf and 93 one. Can I tune one of the two and still run 91 ? (and save gas ?)
Or should I not expect gas saving at all on the performance tunes ?

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I posted in the other thread, but I will post it here as well. Sil has been around these forums for about 10 years now, and has proven to be a very honest guy over the years. If he says it is not vin locked, then I would trust him 100%. Its always a risk when buying a used tuner from a newer member, but Sil is not the type of guy that would try to sell off a vin locked tuner.

I'm a tuner newb...
So these tuners (diablo sport, bully dog) "mate" to the truck via Vin number?? How would you go about selling them of you wanted to? Would they still work on another persons vehicle?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm a tuner newb...
So these tuners (diablo sport, bully dog) "mate" to the truck via Vin number?? How would you go about selling them of you wanted to? Would they still work on another persons vehicle?

As long as the truck was returned to stock then it is no longer tied to the truck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Im convinced now :)
Just a question once I get it. Im used to get 91 octane gas. However I saw the tuner only has a 89 perf and 93 one. Can I tune one of the two and still run 91 ? (and save gas ?)
Or should I not expect gas saving at all on the performance tunes ?

You don't want to ever run less octane than the installed tune. So 91 on 89 tune is on. 89 on 89 is OK. Anything less can cause knock and pull timing hopefully before the motor is damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: