Thanks to Matt and Sean!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw everybody buying friggin torque converters, and last week I caved in to peer pressure and bought a 2800 stall edge, stage 3 VB, mag-hytec deep trans pan, and a diablosport trinity. Matt got me taken care of and everything shipped quick(tuner shipped same day!)

The trinity was first to arrive, and now I've been playing with it and sending the needed info off to Sean. I'm impressed with the trinity, it makes a noticeable difference. But the trans tune made me smile. Even if it gave me no performance gains, I would buy it for the trans tune, and the ability to finally get rid of MDS(im not being followed around by an underwater helicopter anymore on the highway!). The ability to adjust throttle response without having to have a new tune is nice, I spent a few hours dialing that in.

The trans pan is here, the rest is on the way, Now all I gotta do is find some time to slide by the royal purple distributor and pick up some fluid and throw it all in friday.

Thanks again, guys:drunk:

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats awesome man... hope you enjoy your goodies

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I originally planned on some LT headers after this, then cam/heads etc. But after driving around I figured out the next thing I NEED is a Caltracs bar and some new leaf spring eyelet bushings. That trans tune has firm shifts(and I havent even put the VB or TC in yet) and I love it, but every time it shifts under WOT I can feel the rear end wrap the springs and sometimes hear the bushings bottom out.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Moe's has always been amazing in my experience, especially the customer service the guys provided and the advice they offer here on the forum. Glad you had just as good of an experience as I did!

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it's all here now. That TC weighs a ton. Got everything sitting on the toolbox at work, friday morning I gotta head to pick up the fluid and the filters, then its time to prep for surgery. I will report back, maybe some pics of install.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These converters are no joke. They are very heavy.

I'm anxious to see what you think after the install.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm anxious for the install. I've had a few tuning, uh.... hiccups, over the past week but I think we finally got it sorted out. I think most of it was bad gas and operator error on my part. It's running strong and shifting nice even without the trans parts.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I'm impressed with the converter, launches better with no lag. It's always bugged me that stock hemis act like they have turbo lag, this seems to have solved that. It launches in the power.

However, I am not impressed with the valve body at the moment. I've got a little bit quicker shifts but it has not gained much in the sense of shift firmness over what just the TCM tune gave me. Definitely not the "firm/harsh shifts in every gear ". I understand the higher stall converter will buffer some of that shock but at 75% throttle shifting at 4500 it seems to be lacking. I'm also having a problem with it currently, though I'm not sure if it's the valve body or the TCM tune that's responsible so I'll run it by you guys. Part throttle acceleration after taking a turn, it shudders briefly then kicks hard down a gear. It does this same thing when trying to pass at speeds under 60mph. 55mph cruising, mat the gas and it drops down one gear, shudders a little (feels almost like wheelspin, but it's not) then kicks down hard into another gear way up in the RPMs.

Yes everything is installed correctly, torqued according to FSM, yes I'm running the 4x4 filter the mag pan requires, proper level of ATF+4. Truck has 75,000 miles and never had a transmission problem. I'm not sure if it's a bad valve body or just the TCM tune is not jiving with the new parts or what, but I figure I'd run it by you first to see if this is something that happens frequently before I bug Sean about the tune.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I already sent you a PM, but I will post here as well. Sometimes after a VB install, it is necessary to do a transmission quicklearn to completely reset the computer. The VB is going to make it shift hard, and that can make your computer go stupid on you if it is used to sloppy and slow shifts. Try this, and let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
B

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, one week update- all is finally well.

The transmission wasn't an issue with the quick learn, after leaving dodge (TCM tune uninstalled, running original backup) it did not have the shudder or lag anymore. Upon re installing the custom hemifever TCM tune, it had the exact same symptoms. After some consultation Sean was able to narrow it down to the torque management mods in his tune being too agressive for the new VB, new tune and its doing great.

Also, playing with the throttle booster parameter on the trinity allowed me to dial in the throttle response to make it quicker, while also making downshifts quicker. 14% seems to be the magic number, any more makes it jumpy in parking lots and such.

Having it shift at 6200 is intense, and the 2nd gear chirp is satisfying. I recommend the whole deal to anyone looking to upgrade their trans. In my honest opinion, the VB improves shift quickness more so than shift firmness, but it does improve on both, and is still worth it. The shifts dont feel like they drag on forever anymore, just snaps into the next gear like a porsche with paddle shifters.

All in all I'm very happy with the whole thing, the products and customer service from both Moes and hemifever is great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn