Ram 2500 360A Dual Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ram 2500 380A Dual Alternator

I'm looking for a list of part numbers to convert a truck with a factory 180A alternator (BAD) to 380A duals (XF5). As far as I can tell I need the accessory 180A alternator, mount, serpentine belt, and wiring harness (plus dealer flashed sales code). For anyone who is good at factory breakdowns, can you help me out?

Here is a VIN that has the XF5 Dual Alternator option: 3C6UR5DJ9GG111490

Here is a VIN that has the BAD 180A factory alternator: 3C6TR5FJXGG167446

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
It's very hard to tell in the end what all of the parts required to do this will be but I can cross reference what you ask for and will see where the XF5 option comes into play

BAJ 220 AMP + XF5 380 AMP (combined) Dual Alternator option: 3C6UR5DJ9GG111490

XF5 Alternator 56029643AB
Bolts for XF5 Alternator 6102172AA x3
Crankshaft Damper 4893285AA
Waterpump tube with XF5 option 4893371AC
Heater supply and return hoses 68252175AA
Harness is part of transmission wiring 68268429AD (For use with DK3 Shift on the fly t-case option)
Harness is part of transmission wiring 68268427AD (For use with DK1 Manual t-case option)
Belt for Aux Alternator 68232297AA
Alternator Bracket 4627648AC

64-hemi.jpg

-Benny

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Benny, here is the actual Vin of the vehicle I would like to do the conversion to: 3C6TR5FJ9GG152002
The truck already has the BAJ option.

Does the XF5 alternator come with the mounting bracket? I don't see a bracket on your list so I am unclear. From what I understand from the Diesel guys there is a small harness for the second alternator that should plug directly into my existing harness. I was led to believe that in addition to what you posted I needed a mounting bracket and the short harness. Is that what you see?

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Really can't add anything to your post as far as information but just wondered what requirements you have to need that kind of amperage available. Guess, my thought, if you have that kind of aux demands, I would go with the second alternator so that a failure in charging for the accessories wouldn't leave you dead in the water.

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Really can't add anything to your post as far as information but just wondered what requirements you have to need that kind of amperage available. Guess, my thought, if you have that kind of aux demands, I would go with the second alternator so that a failure in charging for the accessories wouldn't leave you dead in the water.

15,000lb winch, 1500W inverter, lights, etc. It's a Power Wagon and the factory battery and alternator are woefully insufficient if I ever have to do multiple full pulls with the winch. I don't really need 380A but there isn't a factory option that bridges 220A and 380A. I'm really not sure what is available aftermarket but just a very quick search appears that if I even could get a functioning high output aftermarket unit (and I'm not sure I can) that it would cost more than the factory dual option. I'm going to add a second battery in the near future and I'd like the advantages of the second alternator also.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Thanks, that explains it. Glad to see that you are planning on the second battery. the battery is the workhorse of the system. Does the PW have the space under hood for the aux. battery or is a remote location required?

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, that explains it. Glad to see that you are planning on the second battery. the battery is the workhorse of the system. Does the PW have the space under hood for the aux. battery or is a remote location required?

The airbox in the 6.4 occupies the same space as the second battery used in the 6.7 diesel. If Vararam would make an intake for the 6.4 application I could install the factory battery tray for the diesel second battery. Unfortunately right now it looks like a remote battery is my only option. This project will probably take me a while to get too so hopely between now and then something comes available for the intake.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Thanks Benny, here is the actual Vin of the vehicle I would like to do the conversion to: 3C6TR5FJ9GG152002
The truck already has the BAJ option.

Does the XF5 alternator come with the mounting bracket? I don't see a bracket on your list so I am unclear. From what I understand from the Diesel guys there is a small harness for the second alternator that should plug directly into my existing harness. I was led to believe that in addition to what you posted I needed a mounting bracket and the short harness. Is that what you see?

I updated my original post. I believe that because this model year is so new there is missing data like the alternator belt for example. I hope that when this does show there may also be a jumper harness as you mention. The only thing we can do is check back as mopar adds data to its catalog on a daily basis.

-Benny

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Benny, has there been any update to the parts availability?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Im afraid not, The items in question are still not shown in our dealer data

-Benny

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Benny, it's been a couple of months so I thought I'd ask again if there are any updates?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Benny, it's been a couple of months so I thought I'd ask again if there are any updates?

I update my original post with the wiring I found but still nothing on the belt and bracket. I will call Mopar tomorrow to see if they can assist.

In regards to the trans wiring it is from that specific VIN that has a shift on the fly option DK3. There is another harness shown with the dual alt option XF5 that does not include this DK3 option. We would have to check your VIN to see what would be the best match but none of this can be guaranteed for sure.

-Benny

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought I updated the thread with a VIN but it looks like I forgot. Here is the VIN: 3C6TR5FJ9GG152002

I do not have shift on the fly since the Power Wagon has a manual transfer case.

Last edited:

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
I thought I updated the thread with a VIN but it looks like I forgot. Here is the VIN: 3C6TR5FJ9GG152002

I do not have shift on the fly since the Power Wagon has a manual transfer case.

Thanks your manual t case code is DK1 therefor a DK1 + XF5 option uses trans harness 68268427AD in your case.

I updated the belt part number on original post as per Mopar but they had no answer as to mounting bracket. They suggest it mounts directly to the head but looking at the photo im not quite sure I agree with them. I emailed them the photo and hopefully receive a solid answer on this.

-Benny

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These don't come up on your site:

Harness is part of transmission wiring 68268427AD

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
These don't come up on your site:

Harness is part of transmission wiring 68268427AD

Hmm I was going to manually add them but then I saw that they are unpriced from Mopar. Until they get priced we cannot add or order them. I apologize for the inconvenience but they should have them priced soon.

-Benny

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Updated my original parts post with the Alt bracket part number supplied by Mopar

-Benny

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the update Benny, I appreciate your research. Please let me know when the pricing is available for the heater return hose and harness so I can place an order.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Your welcome, If you dont mind nudge me every now and then and I will run all the numbers for availability.

-Benny

jcorey2293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Has anyone had any luck yet ordering the parts for the dual alternators for the 6.4?

Also, I am confused about the power output of the dual alternators. There are two alternators they offer. 180 amp and a 220 amp. According to Cummins forums, you cannot mix the 180 amp and 220 amp alternators. They must be identical. If you have the Cummins, you can get the dual 440 amp setup, which is 2 x 220amp. When you build a 6.4 Hemi with dual alternators, your option is the 380 amp setup. On the Ram website, when you click details on the 380 dual setup, it says it adds a 220 amp additional alternator. 180 amp + 220 amp is 400 amps, not 380 amps. And if you go 2 x 180 is 360. So where are they getting the 380 amps?

Lastly, Benny, on your first reply you typed "BAJ 220 AMP + XF5 380 AMP Dual Alternator". You werent referring to having the 380 amp setup (two alternators) and then adding a third 220 amp alternator also? Or is there an alternator that puts out 380?

Thanks for all the info guys. If I could get a truck with the snow chief package in a Laramie Limited, I'd be a happy camper. But is a no go.