1979 Dodge Lil Red Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoungDodge99

Reaction score
Ram Year
None Currently
Engine
N/A
Is there any way that I can get better fuel economy out of this truck without compromising power? Or even better gain fuel economy and power. Thanks

OP
OP
YoungDodge99

YoungDodge99

Reaction score
Ram Year
None Currently
Engine
N/A
Sorry this is the best place I could find to put this as I am new to this site.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is really no such thing as god economy in a 79 truck. That model is the absolute highest performance model for that year. In fact it was the fastest stock vehicle of anything made in 1979.

You could try putting a different carburetor on it to get more efficient fuel burn, or even an msd atomic EFI. The EFI will get more economy and power.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Wel... I can think of one way...

[yt]ArkzSPOGNPs[/yt]

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap that thing is wicked

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
going diesel is one way. depending on where you drive it could effect your mileage. if you do lots of highway driving a 46rh transmission would help your mileage. changing the cam might help. rv cams are usually good for better gas mileage. fuel injection is nice but not always needed.

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better mileage

Even though this post is a few years old, I am going to reply to it, as I know other people will have the same question as the original poster did.

You could change the rear end gears, but if you go less than the stock 3:55 gears, you will lose the limited slip. I don't believe the more economical truck gear ratios available with this axle offered limited slip differential. You can add a Gear Vendor's overdrive to your 727, but you are looking at a $3000 investment, which is relatively easy to add after you shorten the drive shaft. Another idea would be to add a 90s O/D automatic transmission as used in 90s Dodge truck Magnum engines, but you may have to make the trans tunnel bigger to get it to fit. You could swap in a modern 5.7L or 6.1L Hemi with VVT and O/D transmission too. Again trans tunnel mods may be necessary.

You might keep the piston compression ratio down in the new engine too. Stock was about 8.3:1 if memory serves. You could put in cheap or cheaper gas in it that way too.

Note that the 727 used in a LRE was not a stock truck 727. It had a 2300-2500 stall converter and used the same valve body that was used behind 440 engines. They shifted hard under full throttle acceleration. The truck would throw or push you back in the seat. You would probably lose that fun factor by switching to a different transmission.

I am restoring a 78 LRE and am planning on adding a Holley ****** fuel injection system for about $1300 for the whole kit with electric fuel pump and filters. Since I won't be spending $300 or more on a new Edelbrock carb or similar, I look at the ****** as costing me about $1000, because I would be spending a minimum of $300 any way to get the fuel to the motor. I thought I would go that route rather than replace the stock sending unit with an in-tank pump so the stock gas gauge would register and work properly. This probably won't help the gas mileage a lot, but it will make it run more efficiently like a modern car. I am adding long tube headers too and running a reproduction 2 1/2" exhaust system the rest of the way back through a pair of ****** Max Flow mufflers.

I am not restoring my LRE truck because it gets good mileage. And I am not going to drive it every day either! I am restoring it because it looks tough and is a fast little truck IMO. It's for fun and to gearhead in. So gas mileage is secondary. Got to keep your priorities straight I guess! LOL

The engineers who designed the mechanical aspects of the Lil Red Express package included Tom Hoover-the godfather of the Hemi (426). His team was trying to make a fast hotrod truck, not a gas miser. They did a great job achieving that given the many restrictions they had to work around with emerging EPA emissions regulations and a limited design budget. There were a lot of other vans, cars and trucks that were more economical in 1978-79.

They put a lot of simple hot rodder tricks into the mechanical package of the LRE. It wasn't about one or two hop ups like Ford and GM seemed to do. It was a complete package of upgrades from a standard 360 that worked together to make more power. Ram Air, stiffer valve springs, hot cam, bigger carb that dumped in 800+ cfm of air and gas, forged crank, big dual exhaust system with low restriction exhaust manifolds, high stall torque converter and bigger valve body, limited slip axle with a good street/strip gear, big wheels and staggered tire sizes. Lots of stuff going on here. It was a system that worked well together.

Also remember this is a vehicle that captures a lot of air under it when it's going down the road. It's as aerodynamic as a brick. Modern trucks have the same problem, though with 40 years of new auto technology, they are more economical. It's simple physics you are trying to defeat.

I'm a purist in many respects. Don't ruin your LRE truck by sticking in a diesel. A few people have done that, but to me it's sacrilegious as the Lil Red was born a gas powered vehicle. If you can't afford the gas, drive it less or do one of the things I suggested above. Cheers and good luck to anyone else pondering this same issue on a vintage Dodge car or truck. Mopar to ya!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if your looking for fuel injection you could also check out the fitech systems. as far as i know they are still the cheapest ones available but it really depends on the engine and what you are doing to it.

still the best way to get great power and awesome fuel economy would be to stick a diesel in it. diesels are about the only engine that can still get 20+mpg while putting out 400+hp.
Zero To Hero: Our 972hp, 27-mpg 1989 Dodge D250 - Diesel Power Magazine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
I know this is an older thread. But taking a chance . I just picked up a LRE and the engine needs to be rebuilt. I'd like to put the STOCK INTAKE back on it.
Does anyone know what the casting number is I'm looking for?

THANKS