1985 W150 repairs. Am I getting ripped off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I_chew_big_red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 2bbl
Just bought the truck, and it needs the following:

(1) new front rotors and pads,
(2) new rear drums and shoes,
(3) alignment (4x4), and
(4) new seal at the transfer case rear output shaft.

Pepboys quoted me at $982 for all of this, excluding the seal replacement. I asked for a parts breakdown and I was told that rotors $82, pads $49, drums $103, and shoes $41. So that means labor costs (including alignment) would be $707. That can't be right, can it? I wish I could do this myself, but I don't have the tools and Chilton's is greek to me. I'm just not very handy it seems.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
1/2 ton drums for $103 ea seems a little high and the pads for $50 seems a little on the high side. I don't know what their shop rate is, but if it's $70, that makes it ten hours and that seems heavy. These kinds of repair bills inspired me to do everything myself.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
where do you live? really hard to say if that is really not bad or expensive without knowing that. 1 rotor for my 81 is about $130 at the local parts store. you could try pricing things out at rock auto. just have to try ordering everything from 1 location to save money when getting parts from them and they always have a discount code to save 5% if you google for one. you should probably be able to do the rear brakes in your driveway if you need to do them at all. drums don't really where out and since the braking surface is protected from the weather they usually stay pretty clean. front breaks on a 4x4 might be more difficult and where you really might want a pro to do the job since you have to press the lug nuts out to get the rotor off but you pretty much need to take the hub off to do that.

now #3 has me thinking you need to run and talk to another shop. on a 4x4 you can pretty much do an alignment in your driveway as long as there are no worn out or bent parts. there is really nothing to do on your truck other than to set the toe which you can do with a measuring tape. if you have any camber issues then you likely got worn out parts or a bent axle.
#4 you should be able to do in your driveway also. replacing the seal should be easy. the hardest part is just prying the old one out. they usually look just like this and press in with some light taps from a hammer
5206-A.jpg