1989 heater fan runs but no air in cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a strange one, for me at least. My heat quit blowing recently. I have had other Chrysler vehicles and most of them had a resistor network to control the fan speed so when the fan quit blowing I figured the fan motor was shot or the resistor network was fried. I couldn't find a resistor, so I checked the voltage going into the fan at different speed settings. It showed battery voltage ~ 14 volts, no matter what the setting, and went to 0 volts when the heat was turned off. Next I pulled the fan, and it seems to be working perfectly, turning on and off with the heat. I am mystified.

I have a Chilton's manual, but it's pretty useless. Is there a damper that controls the amount of air when the fan speed control is changed?

Any ideas would be appreciated, it's darn cold right now in NC.

OP
OP
R

Russ Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!

Thank you for your quick response.

I will pick a resistor up on the way home and then go from there. I hope it's something simple like that. Every Dodge I've ever owned eventually needed one but they were always in the engine compartment.