4 pin ignition trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
I have an 85 dodge w150 I swapped the slant six out with a 360. I removed the lean burn and hooked up a 4 pin set up. My problem is I bough a resistor for an 85 it was a 4 terminal and I put it on with a stock coil. And it wouldn't start unless I ran a 12 volt jumper wire. Once it started it ran great until u turned the 12 volts off then it missed out real bad. So I checked the voltage. It had 3.57volts coming out of the resistor and the resistor was 5.2 ohms. I started looking at diagrams for that set up and it showed to have a 1.2 ohm resistor which I couldn't find. So I found that the accel super stock coil had a 1.4 internal resistor so I took the resistor off and put that coil on and it ran great for about 20 minutes then it fried the coil. So my question to you guys is what coil and resistor do I need to put on this truck so I don't have any problems. I greatly appriciate your input

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You've got the 2 pin ballast resistor, right?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about neither and run an hei setup. No ballast resistor, and super quick starts. I did this on my 79 truck and it works great. I have a diagram of how I wired everything somewhere. I'll find it for you.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the basic wiring for the HEI. I'll take pictures of how I remedied the ballast tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403592818.086378.jpg

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
I have the four terminal resistor. They had a two terminal at the parts store. I hooked tgefour terminal up and it wouldn't start it would only fire. Then I ran a 12 volt jumper wire to it and it started and ran good. Once I unhooked the wire it started missing out and ran rough. Then I looked at my diagram it showed a 1.2 ohm resistor which I haven't found. So I read about the accel superatock coil and it said it had a 1.4 ohm internal resistor so I unhooked my resistor and hooked that coil up and it ran for a lil while and it fried the coil. So I wasn't sure what resistor and coil I need to put on it so it will work like it should. I thought about that he I conversion I might do it if I can't figure this out so thanks for the diagram I'll hang onto that in case I go that route.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the resister you got is for a 5 pin ignition system. you might want to check the resistance across both sets of terminals one of them should be 1.2 ohm which is what you need. if it is not working you should probably take the resister back and and get the proper one.

personally i would not do the gm hei conversion. it don't make a difference. my truck runs perfectly fine with the 4 pin ignition system and starts great.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
OK that accel super stock coil said it had a primary resistance of 1.4 ohms so I took the resistor off and hooked that coil up and it fried it. Why did that happen?