85 W150 intermittent heater issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Lol. I think I'll stick with one at a time (though a parts truck wud be sweet).

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
hahaha well i am pretty limited to the amount of vehicles i got for now until i get more parking spots. driveway only has enough room for 5 vehicles and it is currently full. my sled actually has to stay parked in my truck since there is no room on the driveway for it since i bought my 89 ramcharger this summer.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you figure out yet it is the friggin fuseable link? At least mine was on my Ramcharger, and the W150 same thing happened to both.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Did you figure out yet it is the friggin fuseable link? At least mine was on my Ramcharger, and the W150 same thing happened to both.
Don't think Iits fusible link. I discovered after replacing that resistor that when I push hard enough on the mechanical buttons, they make contact and flip it on. Sooo, I've gotta take it apart and see if that switch behind the control is dorked (which seems to be where this is heading).
Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't think Iits fusible link. I discovered after replacing that resistor that when I push hard enough on the mechanical buttons, they make contact and flip it on. Sooo, I've gotta take it apart and see if that switch behind the control is dorked (which seems to be where this is heading).
Just haven't gotten to it yet.
I guess I got lucky. Mine were doing the same thing and it turned out to be fuseable links on both. I replaced them with actual fuses and it works perfectly and has been for years. I was dreading getting behind the dash till I figured out how totally easy it was. When of course I did my gauge light upgrade, and all my stereo system lately.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Does the 4x4 light that's in this instrument cluster bezel need to be unscrewed? Or does that connector come off. I've been prying it, but it doesn't seem to be loosening

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Got the bezel out. And nothing cracked. Wasn't sure about that 4x4 light. It didn't seem to simply unplug so I unscrewed the mounting screws.

Attachments

• IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 26

ewbloom

Reaction score
Ram Year
1988 D100
Engine
3.9L V6
I just took apart my dash trying to figure out the same thing for my 88 D100. Fan stopped working. Yet it works when fed direct following the troubleshooting procedures.

Switch checks out, resistor checks out, fuse checks out. All the wires I can trace check as well. It is like there is a break in the line somewhere or a bad relay.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
So the idea here is to figure out why I need to crush the buttons in order to get the heater fan blowing. Just happen to notice after I got the bezel off and poking around in there, thus reddish/orangish wire (complete with a connector) that isn't plugged in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Not sure why ur response came thru the way it did. It's at the beginning of my post. There's 7 pages. At any rate, mine is the same EXCEPT if I mash hard on the control buttons, it'll kick the fan on. Sometimes it stays running sometimes it doesn't. Thinking maybe the switch behind the control panel. Will know once I get it all apart

ewbloom

Reaction score
Ram Year
1988 D100
Engine
3.9L V6
You have two threads running on the forum for this topic.

One is in General, and this in in Interior. The one in General is the long, 7 page thread.

I got my control out and it looks good, no burns but it was not getting power where it needed to go. Now to find one.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Got it yanked out see some bad wires. Gonna replace those. The switch doesn't look nearly as bad as some I've seen posted. But the control box is cracked in several places. Gonna replace control box and switch also. Here's a few pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
FRIGGIN BROKE THIS!!! Pressed it too hard I guess trying to get that cable detached from the control box. Any suggestions on a fix ? Don't think super glue or gorilla glue will hold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19