Angry Neighbor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d250

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991/1995
Engine
5.2 318 v8/5.9l 12v Cummins
My next door neighbor has an issue when a idle my truck in my driveway.
She said there is a law that I can't idle it more than 3 minutes. Is this correct?
She idles her **** sounding 2009 Subaru Forester for 10 minutes and I don't complain. Also her dogs bark all day and night I feel like saying "what about your dogs" it makes me angry when they have an issue with me when they also make noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Won't be a law, but may be a by-law of the homeowners assoc if there is one.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually this winter I saw a news report that there is some in some cities. Cars idling to warm up are being stolen, so they made a law. I'll keep my opinion to myself about stupid laws. Oh wait maybe not.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My next door neighbor has an issue when a idle my truck in my driveway.
She said there is a law that I can't idle it more than 3 minutes. Is this correct?
She idles her **** sounding 2009 Subaru Forester for 10 minutes and I don't complain. Also her dogs bark all day and night I feel like saying "what about your dogs" it makes me angry when they have an issue with me when they also make noise.

You would have to check with your City, County, and State. About the laws in idling a vehicle as stupid a law as that sounds. Or with your home owners association. Another stupid group to have to be in if you ask me.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually this winter I saw a news report that there is some in some cities. Cars idling to warm up are being stolen, so they made a law. I'll keep my opinion to myself about stupid laws. Oh wait maybe not.

'Merica, ugh...

ozzy_rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I have read, these anti-idling laws only apply to public service and commercial vehicles and have a 10 minute cap not 3

OP
OP
d250

d250

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991/1995
Engine
5.2 318 v8/5.9l 12v Cummins
I looked it up didn't find any laws. She literally just walked up to me an hour ago. I don't have a homeowner owner association. I live in Connecticut so you guys can try to find it.

Barcelo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 6 speed with mds
What is her beef? Do you have a moded exhaust? And if it was 15 min (like I do sometimes in the winters) I would understand. But even still. If she has the nerve to approach you, than don't hesitate to give it back!! And after your done, tell her to never even think of stepping on your property or speaking to you again. Than we'll see if it was worth opening her mouth!!! :flamingdevil: Sorry. I have no patients for that kind of stuff. My neighbour a cross the street parks on the road on purpose so that I have a harder time backing my boat in the driveway. After he accused me of pulling out to far into his grass. Which I never ever have. Now we don't speak. Hope it's worth his misery! My ram and I have no problem backing in. Car or not!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
wow...

However, the following relevant exemptions exist:

(ii)When it is necessary to operate defrosting, heating or cooling equipment
to ensure the safety or health of the driver or passengers,
(iii) When it is necessary to operate auxiliary equipment that is located in or on
the mobile source to accomplish the intended use of the mobile source,
(iv) To bring the mobile source to the manufacturer’s recommended operating
temperature,
(v) When the outdoor temperature is below twenty degrees Fahrenheit (20
degrees F),
(vi) When the mobile source is undergoing maintenance that requires such
mobile source be operated for more than three (3) consecutive minutes,

Pay particular attention to (iii)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I may be in the minority here, but I would try to do what you can to keep the peace with your neighbors. You never know when you will need a favor, and they are generally the closest person there to help if needed.

There are some things my neighbors do that I dont necessarily agree with, but I would rather keep a good relatinship with them. Everyone on my street looks out for each others houses when someone is on vacation, I let them borrow tools, and they have loaned various items to me as well, etc...

I would try to keep the peace rather then go out of my way to **** them off. If she does not like listening to a loud truck idling for 20 minutes, then what's wrong with just letting it idle for 2-3 minutes in the morning?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I appreciate that sentiment.. but she drives a Subaru Forester. We have MANY of that type in Alaska. You're recycling wrong, your music is too loud, you voted for the other guy, she hates tucks....

may be wrong, but the stereotype exists for a reason.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Matt. I tend to try to get along with most all of my neighbors. But there is some exceptions that I just can't get along with. And she sounds like one that I believe I just couldn't get along with.

Now that you know it's the law. Idle your truck to the limit. If she approaches you again about it. Let her know that you know realize it's the law. And the next time she does the same. Kindly inform her of said law. And let that be it.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I appreciate that sentiment.. but she drives a Subaru Forester. We have MANY of that type in Alaska. You're recycling wrong, your music is too loud, you voted for the other guy, she hates tucks....

may be wrong, but the stereotype exists for a reason.

the stereotype for Subaru Foresters in my neck of the woods, is similar , but includes canoe paddlers, and I'm not talking about outdoor sports. The only thing worse is the Prius drivers.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I built my bar to be a neighborhood hangout, the irony is...it still can get loud and **** off the neighbors that don't come over even though they were invited. I usually have a cookout at the beginning of summer and invite everyone...kinda hard to be mad at a guy who gives ya free food and beer. I also am someone that is always offering to help people with yardwork, home repairs, etc.

The thing I've learned...you can be the nicest and best neighbor on the block, but there will always be one bad apple you can't please. Some people just need to ruin other peoples days to try to make their horrible life better. I'd say keep it civil, try to find a connection and work to get a smile from her, if that doesn't work...f it. My guess is the cops won't even waste their time to really deal with her call if she makes one. Police have far better things to do than worry about a truck idling for longer than 3 or whatever minutes. If she does it, I'd get her on video with hers running longer than the law allows and return her favor.

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Unfortunately, I don't have great neighbors like I have read some of you guys are. I have no complaints with them, but we don't really speak!

I did, however, have a neighbor that annoyed the **** out of me when I lived in an apartment for a year or two.

He was one of those guys who is old, retired and has been a tenant since 1923.

As we were moving in, he came outside to introduce himself, ask us a few questions, and then stood around awkwardly while we moved in our stuff. He tried to give me the "rules" while he stood there. "YEP!!!, been here a long time! We have a quiet setting around here, everyone obeys the rules and no one causes trouble" Yeah Gramps, I got it! I know I'm young but I don't need you to kindly lay down the law of the land for me. I don't plan on having parties.

Fast forward a few weeks. I decide to grill a few steaks out on my 2nd floor balcony. ****** comes out and says "I can smell that steak all the way from here." I think that he is complimenting my cooking skills, and I respond "oh yeah? They look pretty good too!" I then notice he has a slight scowl on his face and he says "you aren't supposed to grill on the balconies, they prefer you to take your grill downstairs behind the apartment." You want me to drag this big ass gas grill down stairs? *sigh* whatever! "oh I'm sorry, I didn't know, I will just finish up and not do it again." Next day, notice on my door for an infraction. dammit!! This list wasn't given to me when I moved in. Whatever...

Fast forward a couple of months, I was cleaning my house one day and I emptied the trash can, tied the bag, and put it outside my door. My neighbor across the way does this as well, no biggie, he is a cool dude. The apartments trash receptacle is like 30 miles away and I wasn't finished with what I was doing. I planned on finishing and then grabbing the bag and making the epic journey to the trash area. So 30 minutes later, i put on my shoes and grab my rucksack and the trashbag and oscar mike down to the trash area. ****** is waiting at the bottom of the stairs. "Hey, I notice your bag was on the front porch" I say "yeah only for a few minutes while I finished up. You think they could put a canister closer to us huh?" he says, without even acknowledging my humor " Trash is supposed to be dumped immediately, they don't allow anyone to put it on their porch. I take mine while walking my dog" I look down at this hideous dog that looks like he is a minute from dying. "oh, well, OK I guess, see ya!" next day, notice on the door, dammit!!

Fast forward another few months, I am changing the oil on my truck in the parking lot. ****** walks up with the dying dog and his trash bag and says "truck problems?" Is he really trying to make small talk with me?? Something is up! "no I am just changing my oil, enjoying the weather. Dammit if he couldn't resist. "we are not supposed to do vehicle maintenance in the parking lot. It take my rickety piece of crap to Walmart so they can f*** it up." he didn't really say that, but that is what I heard. Anyways, by this point, I let him have it.

"Look Sir, you have been on my case since I moved in here. I don't know why you decided to target me, but I am getting pretty sick of it. Nothing I do hurts anyone, I just sometimes forget every single rule on the damn sheet and have better things to do than strictly enforce it. Go ahead and tattle to the landlord. I don't really give 2 *****. Just stop talking to me."

I know he ******* about a few more things in between, but those are the ones I could remember.

and that was it... never talked to me again.

next day.... you guessed it... notice on the door... dammit!

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

seriously... the dog on family guy with the old guy... nail on the head!

I know I was young and probably looked like a trouble maker to that guy, but he just made it a point to make sure I knew everything I did wrong before telling on me. Did I break the rules... yeah. Was he right? Yep! Did he have to be such an ass? no. :favorites13:

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to agree with everyone on the good neighbors part. I grew up in a subdivision with a next door neighbor who tried her best to ruin my childhood. Calling the cops on me and my friends for anything and everything like throwing a football in the street, jumping on the trampoline and being "loud", etc; reporting me to my high school for "skipping class" on my break before heading to my tech school. She'd fight with my dad in our front yard in front of me and my friends about us riding bikes on the sidewalk in front of her house and leaving skidmarks from our brakes, etc. It was miserable. Before I could drive I hardly ever had friends over at my house because of her, as we grew older and got our license to drive if she pissed us off we could just up and leave.

So I get the whole "can't get along with neighbor" thing, but my current place is fantastic. I regularly tow trailers for my work, usually something cool on it like UTV's or Wrangler/CJ's type stuff. I live in an apartment complex which makes parking that kind of stuff a pain in the ass, my truck is fairly loud and I have one neighbor who's the complete opposite. There's one parking spot in a corner that's perfect for me to back the trailers into and leaves my truck parked against the curb. It's my neighbors favorite parking spot, but he goes out of his way all the time to come downstairs if he hears my truck and my work's squeaky trailer, move his truck to another spot, then at times if there's a vehicle parked next to that spot he'll hang out and back me into the spot. These occasions usually result in a half hour ******** session about what we're doing to the rig on the trailer, what cool projects my work is doing, what he wants to do with his GMC (2015 Sierra) and what not. Not what I expected when moving into a brand new apartment complex. Kind of expecting stuck up rich lint lickers but thus far it's been the complete opposite.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I may be in the minority here, but I would try to do what you can to keep the peace with your neighbors. You never know when you will need a favor, and they are generally the closest person there to help if needed.

There are some things my neighbors do that I dont necessarily agree with, but I would rather keep a good relatinship with them. Everyone on my street looks out for each others houses when someone is on vacation, I let them borrow tools, and they have loaned various items to me as well, etc...

I would try to keep the peace rather then go out of my way to **** them off. If she does not like listening to a loud truck idling for 20 minutes, then what's wrong with just letting it idle for 2-3 minutes in the morning?

I agree, assuming your neighbors are reasonable. Not all are. I get along with just about every one of my neighbors. I occasionally take eggs from my chickens over to my elderly couple neighbor. one of my other neighbors I help him out with his field work, he will mow my field with his tractor. etc, etc. My immediate neighbor unfortunately, not so much. he complains about my barn light that's been on the structure for over 20 years. it emits 'excessive light'. and as of last summer, the light beams, defy the laws of physics and now has started shining into his bedroom at night. but the flood light on his garage that runs all night doesn't cause issues. So I put a cover over the light that faces his side of his house. THEN, I repair a fence so my goats don't get out, so I'm now the assholes since he can no longer easily get over the fence into my field to get his golf balls he drives into my field. When I ask him not to hit his golf balls into my field, might kill my goats, his response was if I would just pick them up and throw them back over, it wouldn't be an issue. Last summer I put a privacy fence around the back area of my house, he comes over to complain I need to take it down since he now can't see what we're doing.... its a PRIVACY fence. Finally, he asks for my cell number so he can get a hold of me for "urgent" issues. I finally had to tell him to F off and if he ever sets foot on my property again uninvited, we're going to have issues. some people, you just can't reach.