Backing Plates for my 84 D150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't find backing plates anywhere. All suppliers seem to be listing them as discontinued. I was under my truck tonight and tried measuring with a measuring tape.... not the easiest task since the axle runs through the middle of the plate. From what I can tell, the drum measures 14 inches, the backing plate looks to be about 12. Can anyone confirm the size of my backing plates and drums? Its a 1984 Dodge D150 that came with a 318 and 727 if that helps.... Also, where do you guys get your backing plates from? Mine have completely rusted out. The hole for the screw on one of the plates has rusted - so its not secured safely at all. Plus I am trying to a full rear brake job so I will need these plates to do it. Can you guys help me out

Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
should likely be able to grab one off almost any dodge with 9.25 rear end. they used them for so many years i wouldn't be surprised if you could grab one off a 2nd gen ram or van and have it work. rockauto shows the 84-97 dodge vans using the same drums as the 85-93 trucks which have all the same brakes as the 84 and older. just different bolt pattern. the vans seem more common to find still kicking around compared to the trucks or ramchargers.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
should likely be able to grab one off almost any dodge with 9.25 rear end. they used them for so many years i wouldn't be surprised if you could grab one off a 2nd gen ram or van and have it work. rockauto shows the 84-97 dodge vans using the same drums as the 85-93 trucks which have all the same brakes as the 84 and older. just different bolt pattern. the vans seem more common to find still kicking around compared to the trucks or ramchargers.

I'm looking to go with new parts if possible - I will wonder to my local scrap yard but chances are any plates I find will be covered in corrosion already since I'm in Canada and they use salt 6 months out of the year. What are people supposed to do to get new plates? Drums, shoes, pads, rotors are all readily available, but backing plates aren't.... seems strange

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it would likely cost you more to get a new backing plate than it would be to convert to rear disk brakes. i had a couple a few months ago but they accidently got scrapped when my sister moved. you should not have that hard of a time finding a good used set of backing plates. my 93 is rusted out pretty good from the years of exposure to the salt and sand dropped on the roads in Ontario but the backing plates are still solid. i think there must have been a reason yours rusted out or maybe they are not as bad as you think they are. they are pretty thick.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
it would likely cost you more to get a new backing plate than it would be to convert to rear disk brakes. i had a couple a few months ago but they accidently got scrapped when my sister moved. you should not have that hard of a time finding a good used set of backing plates. my 93 is rusted out pretty good from the years of exposure to the salt and sand dropped on the roads in Ontario but the backing plates are still solid. i think there must have been a reason yours rusted out or maybe they are not as bad as you think they are. they are pretty thick.

I guess I'm trying to go for all-new parts since I am semi-restoring the truck this winter. I'm going for as many brand new parts as I can just because . I want to keep drums in the back just since they typically last longer around here than disc brakes from, I'm assuming, the amount of salt on the ground and in the air. If you know of ANY supplier who has backing plates that are new, id appreciate their contact info. I took another look at my backing plates tonight.... there are large, 1-1.5 inch rust holes in both plates. I can punch my screw driver through them both with little effort. It is now officially parked until I can get the rear brakes tended to.

Thanks!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i personally wouldn't waist my time looking of NOS. you could maybe try getting in contact with members on RCC and see if you can possibly find someone out of Texas or somewhere dry that is willing to ship you 1 up that is in good shape but i kid you not you should be able to find a good one closer to home than you think that are in excellent to new shape. heck a buddy and i scrapped a axle that only had 79,000km on it a few years ago. it kind of hurt to take that truck apart and part it out since it was so clean. it even had factory paint on the frame. these axles are a dime a dozen and parts like backing plates never usually rust out and look as good as new when sand blasted and painted. if yours are rust out that bad i would possibly be worried about the rest of the frame or truck having rust damage that would be worrisome.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
STILL on the hunt for a set of backing plates. Found some at the local scrap yard but they weren't worth a penny. One side was warped probably due to being pulled along the concrete cause there are no wheels on it, the other side had a hole punched thru around where the bolt keeps the plate secured. I am at the point where I am calling out to you guys for help. If someone here can find me a set that is worth throwing on my truck, I will pay you to get them and ship them to me up here in Canada. Let me know if you have a lead on a set and I will gladly pay you what they're worth. Trying to get all safety related items dealt with (brakes, front end parts etc) so that I can focus on fixing up the cosmetic parts of the truck and have it ready for the summer time. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

EDIT: Or if you find me a full drum with backing plate assembly, that works too. I need new drums anyway. Here is a picture of my rear diff. There are ten bolts on the cover... can you guys confirm from this the exact drums and backing plates it requires? Want to be 100% sure before I ever buy them.

IMG_20171226_2052407.jpg

Last edited:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i am pretty sure the backing plates are identical on both 8.25 and 9.25 axles. the drums and all the brake parts are the same between the 2 axles. you got the 8.25 axle