brake pedal no return

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ice cold

Reaction score
Ram Year
'88 and '96
Engine
360 and cummins
88 one ton single wheel axle, 360 (5.9L)

my brake pedal does not return to full up when the motor is running. It leaves some brake applied unless I help return the pedal with my foot. It will return on its own when the motor is off. I lubed the hinges and still no good. Fluid is full and at first glance it appears clean inside master cylinder but did not bleed brakes. This just started happening. Still have to check the vacuum to the booster and the booster itself. wondering about the best way to do this. I've got a rudimentary understanding of the booster but never worked on one. advice please and any other suggestions. thanks to all

BTW poured over other brake threads and didn't find anything pertinent to my issue. that is pedal returns with motor off and does not with motor on.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you done any work on the brakes lately? the brake booster just makes braking easier. should not make things stick.

OP
OP
I

ice cold

Reaction score
Ram Year
'88 and '96
Engine
360 and cummins
the only thing I did was remove a trailer brake line that was tapped into the rear brake line. It was tapped into a "T" so I removed the line and put a plug in it. ------- still doesn't make sense that it returns with the motor off but not when the motor is running. ??????

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i wonder if some air got into the line. do the beeder screws look like they will open? i would probably be trying to bleed the rear brakes.

OP
OP
I

ice cold

Reaction score
Ram Year
'88 and '96
Engine
360 and cummins
I'll give it a shot. ------ be back in a week, going out of country. ---- keep thoughts coming if any other suggestions. thanks --- Ice