Engine Intermittently Wont Turn Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently replaced the starter on my truck cause I thought it was shot. I put the new one on and it works fine. But intermittently the truck won't turn over - it won't even click or anything. The "brake" light on the dash comes on, and all the gauges work but the engine won't turn. Then suddenly it will fire up so I'm guessing its a loose wire... could you give me some sort of idea of what wire could cause this? I tried fiddling with some driver side fender wires and but nothing seems to be the culprit. Also checked the wires that go down to the starter but they're fine. The ground from the battery is good too. So power is getting throughout the truck but there is a disconnect when it comes to ignition. Makes me think the old starter was fine, and the wiring problem caused the no start issue all along.

d250

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991/1995
Engine
5.2 318 v8/5.9l 12v Cummins
Sometimes my truck does that. Mainly when the battery is low but it eventually turns over and starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
most likely a bad ground connection at the engine block. you can try starting the truck with the hood open and if it does that you can feel the connectors real quick after it does that for a warm connector. a warm connector will most likely be your issue. also the starters on these trucks rarely wear out

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will try that tomorrow thank you. While we're on the topic of starters, every starter I've had on this truck sounds very rough, and there is a grinding spinning sound after the truck starts. Do I need to shim it? Are these starters known for needing that? It didn't come with any other hardware

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is normal unless you upgrade to the new starter. that is just the starter motor spinning on after it is is not needed which is why you can't try starting it while it is making that noise. new starters are a bit nicer about not doing that. they are also a lot smaller and easier to replace or repair.
20150615_180126.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh wow, I never knew there were those newer units available. What brand do you suggest? I definitely would like to invest in one myself. The grinding noise is very annoying and makes people stare sometimes

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
lol i have never had anyone stare at my truck for the starter running on.

they are the newer starters used on the 88 and newer rams. you can get one buy ordering a starter for any 88-95 ram truck. the 96 and newer rams have the same starters but the connectors on them changed a bit

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sweet, thank you for the info crazzywolfie, you always seem to have the answers I'm looking for! So even starters as new as 1996 will work with changing the connectors a bit? I know the sound of a starter is very unimportant, but I do like the sound of newer truck starters a lot more. Sounds more truck-ish lol

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i have spent enough time around these old trucks to learn a lot. i actually took that picture the day installed the smaller starter on my 81. a 96-98 starter would also work but with one of those starters you almost need the adapter that the 88-95 starters come with.
337-1096_Alternate3__ra_p.jpg
337-1100_Alternate3__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I had enough slack on both wires, couldn't I just use the original 96-98 starter points? Or will they end up getting in each others way

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the starter points should be in the right spot that your stock wires should hook up to it but it is real close to the starter body and the stock wires could possibly ground out on the starter if not sealed up real well. if i was going to use a starter that new i would try to find one that is used and grab the wire that runs to it complete from the battery to to starter.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I kinda like the characteristic loud old mopar starter sound. I'll start my 73 d100 field truck with the door open just to hear it. yeah, I'm strange.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I somewhat solved the intermittent no start issue. If it doesn't start, I can fiddle with the gear shift, and it'll start. It's as if it's not fully in park or something. I just drop it to nuetrel then back up to park and it'll start. Now how to fix this is my next goal...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like your neutral safety switch is acting up. it can easily be bypassed with a piece of wire and a coupe connectors. all you go to do is ground the green wire that goes to the starter relay and that will bypass the neutral safety switch so you can start it in any gear. my 81 is setup like that since it use to be a manual transmission truck.