Hi my name is...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
To start off Hi my names Ethan. My plan / goal with this thread is to keep me motivated share my ideas and get feed back from the "dodge guys". Its not really a build thread because I'm not building anything more of a resto + mod.

Anyways... A few months ago I bought a 1984 Dodge D100, long bed, 225 slant 6, 3 speed stick with over drive

There two reasons I bought it, 1 it was cheep. 2 the hope of good gas millage.

The truck is in really descent shape for the year and coming from Ohio.

What I know about the truck. A older man bought it new and used it to drive back and forth to Florida. He traded it in at the dealer (about) 15 years later. A shop tech at the dealer bought it and used it to drive to work and for weekend trips to Lowe's. 4-5 years ago he sold it to a friend and I bought it from him.
So I'm the first "kid" to own it

"Project Gas Millage"
First time i checked the MPG it said 11. I did not like this as i was hoping closer to 25mpg. Next was 21 and i was ok with that, but i would like to get it closer to 25-30 mpg e-fans and such

when i got it i replaced the upper control arm, fuel pump and did a oil change,

I hope to post pics soon (i belive i know how i just have to get them up)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good to see another old school driver here.

21 MPG out of a carbed slant six truck is pretty good. Just go through it replacing oils and stuff that's old, etc. Maybe advance the ignition timing a bit and lean the carb, just little things might be able to get the MPG up.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
What gearing does i t have? Our 83 w100 got terrible mileage and my 89 d100 got about 12. Both 318's.
I believe the efan will help alot. Especially if it doesn't have a clutched mechanical fan.
The little things add up. Bed cover or an air gate, Tire size, maybe a different gear for the rear end.
New plugs, wires, and ingintion coil can go a long way.

Dodge dude knows more than I do I believe. But I always thought retarding the timing and running a hotter t-stat would give better mileage?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
3.21s can help if you live where it's flat, if not, 3.55s all the way. lol

Rusty: Unless everything I've read and have been told is wrong, you want to advance timing as much as possible with as lean a mixture as possible to keep the A/F ratio high to decrease consumption. Running a hotter stat can help as well, but that can lead to ping under load with the advanced timing.
Basically, trying to get more MPG out of this thing is going to be a juggling act and trial and error.

To be honest, I'd just get everything up to ***** and tuned well and would be happy with what I got. No sense in stressing over trying to eek every last little bit of mileage out of a 30 year old truck. 21 is pretty damn good IMO.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
I agree that 21 is great. For the money you would spend trying to get more mpg you can buy a lot of gas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My buddy had a '72 (?) Dart Slant Six, fresh rebuild, sweet new dual bbl carb and we got ~25mpg out on the highway out of it. It's not much more aerodynamic than a truck haha.

There are things you can do for MPG, check out Eco modder forum.
Be careful, they are a grumpy bunch to noobs, and pickup truck owners.
But there's some good information on there.

I vote you lower it, get a sick front spoiler and some solid moon style hub caps.
Might not help for ****, but it'd look cool!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My buddy had a '72 (?) Dart Slant Six, fresh rebuild, sweet new dual bbl carb and we got ~25mpg out on the highway out of it. It's not much more aerodynamic than a truck haha.

There are things you can do for MPG, check out Eco modder forum.
Be careful, they are a grumpy bunch to noobs, and pickup truck owners.
But there's some good information on there.

I vote you lower it, get a sick front spoiler and some solid moon style hub caps.
Might not help for ****, but it'd look coo
l!

Agreed. ^^ That. :gr_grin:

OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
The carb needs cleaned i know. When you stomp it, it will flood out, die and gas runs out of the carb. The po told me he did a tune up last spring but i would like go ahead and do a tune up.

as for what gears i have im not sure. i have a link to a vin decoder and i plan on checking that out, i know its kinda high geared.

i have done a lot of reading on both mpg and lowering these first gen rams.
I would like to lower it and do a nice wright up on it to show other guys out there looking to lower a dodge just how easy it is and what parts the need.
I did a slammed 89 ford f150 a while back and it looked awesome but you run in to a lot of problems with slammed cars/trucks and I just am unsure if i want to go that route with this one.
having issues with photo bucket

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For gears, you should have a sticker under the hood, on the glove box, or even a tag on the rear end itself that has it listed on it.

For the lowering, you can use B series van lower control arms for the front that will drop the front about 1.5-2 inches and you can likely do a spring-under flip for the rear pretty easy.

OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
photo test...

552466_3293812068432_1433206143_a.jpg

89 f150 slammed

OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
47CF5F9D-55C8-4F88-BD44-24102316677D.jpg

craglist photos from the ad before i bought it

263AC251-4B22-47C6-87A5-FE5EA6EF1156.jpg

OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
miles when i got it
8BCFF273-0E01-4548-A18B-BC018D6D8019.jpg

miles now

31A87F66-7D2C-4145-A6A6-72F98608C509.jpg

"custom" grill and tinted marker lights

66479460-1D56-4709-84E6-5209B2B06A74.jpg

OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
im painting the door panels to match the dash

B42AD561-00FC-4894-BAAF-EF4538C552AE.jpg

9129A494-2C89-46F6-9820-88D40DD0C6ED.jpg

FCD99CA9-32A2-4700-923B-C2B917BF8354.jpg

thats it for to night

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What'd you run into that made you break a control arm? :wtf:

Not a bad looking truck overall, some cleaning would do it good. Being a 4 speed truck, you've likely got an NP435 which means OD is actually a 1:1 ratio...not exactly great for MPG.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
your truck should have 3.21 gears since you have a standard transmission. i know my 81 use to have a /6 and standard transmission at one point in its life and it has 3.21 gears. you want to keep those. they are what will help you keep your decent gas mileage especially when doing highway driving. if your getting 21mpg you are getting about the best you will see. you could try installing electric fans but i don't know of any that bolt on perfectly for the smaller /6 radiator.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the money you would spend trying to get more mpg you can buy a lot of gas.

Not to spoil the fun, but Rustydagger hit it right on the head. Think of the money you saved on the purchse and how much (how long and how many miles) it would take at even 5 mpg better to get a return on a higher priced rig.

This leads me also to say that you MUST choose your mods, repairs and every dime spent wisely. If it is not a reliability issue, consider how long it will take you to recover that expense in any returns you might have in a potential increase in mileage.

Does that make sense? Other than just saying you have a truck that will get 30 mpg and the cool factor and attention that might receive from a limited audience. For example, even a rear end gear swap at say $500; how much fuel could you purchase for that price and how long would it take you to get that back, now having a possible 3mpg improvement.
Know what I am saying? So FREE is important. This will require some creativity, guts and a unorthodox approach. But be brave, ignore the "haters" and just try some of these. Keep a log and see what works and what doesn't. Some of this will require "fine tuning" as though it may seem logical, sometimes these things don't work out in the real world and require adjustment. Like jetting, gearing, etc. Like cracking a safe, every driver, environment and route holds its own unique combination.

But, to chime in because I am also a sucker for fun stuff like this;

As mentioned before, up your "overdrive" with Taller, skinny assed tires. Look around for some other wheels that may fit that are mass produced from another vehicle (if possible) and swap them on. Or, keep the wheels, and run skinny, tall, hard compound tires aired up to the moon. This will also make it easier to steer when you pull the belt off the power steering, the A/C and then also toss the compressor (weight). Look around and see if you can find underdrive pullies as well. You may find one off a Chevy small block and then re-drill it to fit the crank bolts. Take some measurements and see what you can find. Those are damn near free.

Then, make your own "aero" Mooney Salt Flats style wheel covers. Rather than expensive spun aluminum, cut the bottoms out of some discarded 5 gal paint buckets, spray paint them up flat black or Neon Orange or whatever floats your boat, then drill a few holes in them so that you can "Zip Tie" them over the top of the steel wheels.

BAM ! Instant Aero covers!

Then find an old plastic bed liner that blew out of someones truck on the side of the highway, take a jig saw or sawzall to it and fit it underneath the engine compartment. Obviously leaving cut outs for the exhaust, etc.

Tinker with it until it runs from the front bumper to the rear of the trans to smooth out the air flow underneath like an F1 car. This will help serve as a skid plate when you slam it on the ground with your home brewed lowering kit.

You may have to add some holes, depending on your seasonal temps and how much air is then trapped in the engine bay that can't get out. But, if you leave the rear of the flat plastic sheet about 4" lower under the cab, it should flow out fine. Just watch your engine temps and experiment especially since your water pump is spinning at 3/4 speed and you have a tiny import car electric fan on it.

You may have to also drill some oval holes in the hood just before the windshield. This is good, as you will have removed the wipers, radio antenna and switched to tiny rear view external mirror. The air blowing out of said holes will help clean the windshield in a downpour.

A high flow air cleaner filter will also help. Or hell, just remove the filter element and stretch a section of old panty hose over the open air box lid.

Synthetic fluids will give good returns. Engine, Trans and rear end. Just put a catch bucket under said underbelly pan to catch all the run off, as in any older vehicle, synthetics will just flow past all the old cork style valve cover and oil pan gaskets and seep everywhere else. Again, watch out, because this stuff is pricy. Find a friend with a newer vehicle who changes their synthetic oil waaay too early, like most do. Offer to do a "free" oil change, if they supply the fluids (if you know they have good synthetics in their rigs already). Surely you can spin on a new filter and run it out a few more thousand miles.

Hit the local "Pick Your Part" style junk yard. I believe earlier Hyundai electric fans come with metal shields that will fit and can be adapted easily to the smaller radiators. You can get the metal shroud and fan assembly in one piece, that simply unbolts and unplugs in a tidy little unit for cheap.

The mighty "Leaning Tower of Power" Slant Six is unstoppable, even with hand me down oil, limited air flow and a pair of Granny Panties doing the air filtration. Trust me.

Instead of putting a heavy wooden bed back in, why not just stretch some chain link fencing around a metal frame and use it as a bed floor. Functional, light and aero.

Also kill the motor at red lights and never, ever allow the engine to run if the truck is not in motion. Idle = Zero MPG.

Then take EVERYTHING out of it that is unnecessary to save weight. No tools, crap in the bed, bumpers or even change in the ash tray.

Learn to drive playing the "coasting game". Ooze up to speed, time your red lights and draft like mad behind any larger rig on the freeway.

Lol. Awesome. Have fun and good luck! And remember, perform these mods at your own risk. You may cut into Prius sales if you do it right.

:banana-mario:

Last edited:
OP
OP
itsadodge

itsadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
your truck should have 3.21 gears since you have a standard transmission. i know my 81 use to have a /6 and standard transmission at one point in its life and it has 3.21 gears. you want to keep those. they are what will help you keep your decent gas mileage especially when doing highway driving. if your getting 21mpg you are getting about the best you will see. you could try installing electric fans but i don't know of any that bolt on perfectly for the smaller /6 radiator.

Hey Crazzywolfie, I see you on all the dodge forums. I like your 81 thread. I was what it would take to mount a Caravan E-fan like you did or i also have a 1998 mustang v6 fan. Thanks for the gear tip. Where i live (kentucky) there arnt really any flat roads. We have "winedy" back roads and our HWY's go up and down

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334