Lifting 1987 Ramcharger Correctly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am finally getting around to replacing the front leaf spring on my '87 RC. What is the best method for lifting the entire front end off the ground so I can replace the springs in tandem? After I have lifted it I am going to use 12K pound jack stands and railroad ties that are cut to 2 foot lengths and stacked behind the jack stands for insurance. I will have to do a lot of cranking on the vehicle to get this done. I am thinking of leaving the tires attached to the truck, but if I need clearance, they will have to come off.

Someone in the past had mentioned lifting the entire front end by the engine cross member. Seemed like a good idea, but I noticed that my cross member is actually above the horizontal shocks and I would have to go through them with the jack to get there. Is it safe to lift the front end by the short cross member behind the bumper. It is riveted on looks like.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
should be fine to lift the truck by the cross member. horizontal shock is just a steering dampener. it don't really need to be there so you could just unbolt it and set it aside. also before you go lifting it you might also want to look into doing a cross over steering setup. the stock steering setup is only good for so much lift and then you start running into major issues like bump steer. the cross over steering should solve the bump steer issue and would also allow your axle to move more if you need to flex you your suspension.