new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi folks,

I just bought a Dec. 81. Best I can figure out so far is it's: Club Cab; one ton; 360; 2 wheel drive; factory cruise - integrated in column; factory AC - integrated into climate controls; 116KM original; one respray with no damage or rust; one owner farm truck. Runs and drive really nicely. I've done an oil change, some belts and hoses, filters. Not sure if I should do anything else preventative. Any suggestions or comments? Any other features I should check on? The tags inside the hood, sort-of build sheet, says stuff about brakes, shock and diff I can't really read. Were there upgrades?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 37

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Looks good and its still got the hood ornament. Are you keeping the topper? The first few things that pop into my head would be to check and see what condition the sparkplugs are in. Also see what the transmission fluid looks like and maybe change the rear differential fluid. :welcome:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd pull the spare tire off the grille to see what the radiators look like behind it, pull the topper off give it a good wash to see what you're up against with the body. If it's not running and has been setting up a while you may have to drop the gas tank.

I can tell you you have a Dana 60 rear axle and likely the 4000 lb front suspension being a 1 ton.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Nice score 116km wow. I would do a can of weasel **** (seafoam) in the gas tank and a liter of MMO in the motor oil. Replace all the gaskets top to bottom.

Edit to add cap, rotor button, wire leads. and carry an extra ballast resistor in the glove box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dan Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I did most of what you suggest. Then, I drove it 1200 miles. Made it 20 miles from home when I hit a several mile steep uphill stretch (into the Sierra Nevadas). it started to ping for 30 secs, then a couple of loud pops, then a serge or two than it stopped. It started after cooling down but won't this morning. I'll do some trouble shooting next week when I get some time. The upside it was a great truck to drive for nearly all of 3 days.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

D

OP
OP
D

Dan Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oh, Dodge Dude, yes, it says, ""R/A SPCR 60 HD 6200" is that the Dana you mean? Is it LS? It says 410 as well. The front axle, "3300#" - A272 trans.

I took the "topper" off this morning. Looks much better with out it. The body and bed are excellent.

D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334