Transmission pan plastic pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 power ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360
Hello, just joined the community there's some pretty helpful stuff on here. I have a 4x4 85 W-150 I purchased awhile back has a 360 LA and 727 auto. Yesterday I finally got around to getting it on the truck lift to change the trany filter and fix pan leak once I got the pan off I found plastic strips anywhere from 1 cintemeter to 3 inches soft on one side and rough on other in the pan I assume transmission bands but, there was a lot of it and it was brittle stuff if it is then how is it still pulling and how many bands are there in a 727? Any input will be appreciated. Also idk if this the wrong section of forum for this didn't see a drivetrain section....

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do you got any pictures of the plastic? i don't think plastic strips would be from any of the transmission parts.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
It could be the friction material from either the kick down band, or the low-reverse band. I should think that you would be able to see the wear on the drums if it were that bad.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ok. i would also guess that it is friction material from the bands. definitely don't look like a good sign.

OP
OP

85 power ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360
I guess when I take the tranny off to put my new camshaft in I'll rebuild it. Are there any kits out there that make it a little stouter?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think there is any kits to make it stouter. usually stock they are pretty good transmission but if not maintained well then anything can happen.