Truck constantly struggling for power (electrical)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 84 dodge seems to always be struggling to electrically power all electrical parts, like the headlights, windshield wipers, etc.
The battery is new, I've actually tried a few batteries, but the lights dim as the revs get lower, the windshield wipers are very slow unless I Rev it up high, among other things that only work effectively when I rev up the engine a fair amount. What is causing this? I've made sure my battery posts are clean, and have good connections.

Also, on a side note.... if I wanted to install brighter reverse light bulbs, do I need to install a resistor before the reverse light to prevent the fuse from blowing or frying the wire?

Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you could try upgrading the power wire that runs between the battery and alternator so that you would hopefully see a more consistent power output. could also try adding a couple extra ground wires to the body or frame.

now i don't know how knowledgeable you are with electrical but it is advisable that you put your headlights on relays. should make them stop dimming as much and i would personally recommend the same with your backup lights. relays shorten the distance that the power has to travel which in turn allows more power to get where it is going and make your lights brighter. you don't need to use a resister. a resister would make the lights not as bright. you could also consider installing auxiliary backup lights but it is still advisable to use relays so that you don't overload the stock wiring. both my trucks have forward and rearward facing lights on relays and it makes a huge difference.
20140611_214533.jpg
20140612_152441.jpg
20140522_232457.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How old is your alternator? I'd be wondering if it might be starting to go out on you.

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci
I would check or replace the grounds to the frame, body and engine.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
installing a relay harness would prevent the lights from dimming because the lights would be getting constant power straight from the battery instead of through all the wiring from the alternator. even when i had a old worn out sloppy alternator on my 81 the lights usually never dimmed anything that noticeable just because i had a relays harness installed and i had other upgrades in place. i added a couple extra ground wires at important spots and installed a larger alternator output wire and saw a 0.3v drop and a more consistent output. a lot less voltage fluctuation.