truck is unbearably loud/rough when going over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I drive over potholes or a gravel road or speed bumps, I have to slow down to literally 5 km/h. If I am going any faster, the entire truck will feel like it is one solid piece of steel with no suspension, bouncing up and down, and I even feel the back end whip out if I hit a series of bumps going at highway speeds. I understand that a 30 year old truck will not ride great, especially with the front leveling kit I have installed, but it's gotten worse over the last year. The sound of when I hit bumps sounds like there is 2 tons of steel hitting against each other. I have replaced front shocks and springs, also made sure I have no broken leafs in the rear. I am trying to eliminate squeaks and bangs and rattles, but I don't know how to tell where the noises are coming from. But seriously, it's so loud on bumps that it hurts my ears. It sounds like it's coming from every direction around where I am sitting in the driver seat. Also, if I am going slow over small bumps, like in parking lots, I can hear the sound of metal flexing and creaking. It's sort of embarrassing because when I pull into a parking lot that sits a little lower than the road, it sounds like I got in a vehicle accident because of the banging and squeaking and creeking. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can figure this out? It seems awfully stiff for having new springs and shocks. Would worn out control arm bushings be part of it? I know mine are mostly chipped away.

Thanks guys

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Every worn bushing could/would contribute to the noise. they are there to buffer metal to metal contact. sounds like you have a truck FULL of worn bushings, body and bed mounts, etc... I'd start at the suspension and staring, as these are needed most for safety,and start replacing every bushing you can get to if you want to keep he truck. You also didn't say if you replaced the rear shocks, which would help with the rear stepping out over bumps.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the reply.
I will start with control arm bushings. If I was to replace all bushings... What would that include?
Control arm bushings, cab and bed mounts, but what else? Once I replace the bushings I want to get It all done at once

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just about everywhere two pieces of metal move against one another term will be a bushing or some piece if isolating material. Upper and lower control arms, ball joints, upper and lower shock mounts, steering arms, steering stabilizers, radiator mounts, motor mounts, body/bed mounts, exhaust hangers, spring brackets, the list goes on and on. Almost too many to name, that's why I suggested starting with the steering and suspension.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Clearly, you have not replaced the factory radio & speakers, with an aftermarket unit and some decent subs. :roflsquared:

New poly bushings are your friends... and if THAT fails... pump up da' JAMZ!!! :big_banana_Dance: