Vacuum operated 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowerRam89

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 Power Ram and 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Engine
318 and 5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone.

I have an '89 Power Ram with the vacuum operated 4wd system. I just bought my truck in November and it worked well for me through the long, crappy winter we had here in eastern PA.
I do have a couple questions as to how the system should operate. The first couple times I tried the 4wd, I was at a stand still. After reading the instructions on the visor, I've been doing as instructed, but with similar results.

How quickly should the 4wd engage? Being it is operated by vacuum, I'm assuming it would take a little bit of time. However, sometimes mine would seem to take up to a minute or longer. A couple times I'd go to leave my driveway when there was some snow on it. In 2wd the tire would just spin and it would take a while for the 4wd to kick in. Once it did, I drove right out. The truck is great in any snow while in 4wd. Sometimes going back to 2wd, the light would stay lit, but usually go out as I was coming to a stop.

My 4wd indicator light doesn't come on right away. Within the first few days of having my truck, I put it in 4wd and the light didn't come on. Maybe I didn't leave it in 4wd long enough to activate, but I assumed the switch was bad, put in a new one and checked the bulb. The light does illuminate, but as stated above sometimes it takes a while. The one goofy thing is, a few times last winter I'd be easy on the gas while in 4wd. The truck stayed in 4wd, but the light would go out. As soon as I got off the pedal, the light came right back on. Being the system uses vacuum, I'd figure while on the gas I'd have more vacuum, so it's weird the light would go out.

Since it's summertime, I'm thinking I should go through the system. Assuming nothing has been maintained with it, it's 26 years old. Is it a good idea to get a new housing and gasket, new hoses, maybe the actuator? Am I just wrong? It is 26 year old technology and what I've described is just the way the system works? Thanks for any info.