what is this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I need to replace this wire as it burned through, disconnecting the alternator therefore killing the battery while I drive. It connects around the back of the alternator in a plastic housing plug type set up. If I was to buy new wire, what should I look for? Its black but also has a turquoise inner layer. So I'm not sure if that means that it's a ground or not.

Edit: I think it's the b+ terminal wire. What exactly should I ask for in an auto parts store, is that the correct name for it?

Attachments

• IMG_20151020_155046.jpg
    IMG_20151020_155046.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 49

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is the alternator output wire. that is something you will most likely have to fix or make on your own. you could probably get away with some crimp in connectors since you only have a 65 amp alternator.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The problem is I have no slack to work with, the wire was just long enough to connect to th alternator. Is there a certain type of general automotive wire that I could use in place of it or is it a pretty particular type?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you can rotate the connection. there should be some slack there somewhere in 3 wires that run to it. there is nothing special about the wire other than the fusible link that is hooked to it where it meets the rest of the harness on the drivers side fender. i think the stock wire on that should be 10 gauge which should be easy to find. you could upgrade to to 6 gauge which would be great for if you plan on upgrading to a larger output alternator in the future.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks very much. I spliced in a new piece of 10 gauge wire and the truck no longer dies on me. Problem solved!