Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 > Suspension

Suspension

Air bag suspension setup

This is a discussion on Air bag suspension setup within the Suspension forums, part of the 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 category!
Alright ladies and gents, let me know the complete A to Z setup I will need for an air bag ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1990 D150
Engine: 2000 Ram 5.2L/318
Cool Air bag suspension setup
Alright ladies and gents, let me know the complete A to Z setup I will need for an air bag setup. I have a rough idea, but let me know everything and the pros and cons (also brands). I know I need bags, bag brackets, air line of some kind, solenoid valves, pressure switches, filters, check valves, compressors, tank and more. I have been told that although Accuair appears to be leading the way, it isn't necessarily the best and for a guy like myself (Building on a Budget) definitely not the right price range. My buddy said he liked SMC valves for the ability to "rebuild them". Throw me some more helpful info and what I could look for and where to find those thrifty conscious buys. I am looking to do this project with an experienced friend and a not so experienced friend. Should be fun, let me know what you've got.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
caseykeenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
i don't know a whole lot about air bags but what i have seen is there is no such thing as cheap. the one place i know of that lists a complete kit for these trucks want $1700 for a kit and that probably don't include shipping.
Trust The Air Suspension Ride Pros; Find Exclusive Deals on Hot Rod Suspension, Lift Kits, Lowering Kits, Lambo Doors, air springs, air bags, Billet Wheel Adapters, Towing Kits, Air Shocks, Air suspension Lift Kits

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
i don't know a whole lot about air bags but what i have seen is there is no such thing as cheap. the one place i know of that lists a complete kit for these trucks want $1700 for a kit and that probably don't include shipping.
Trust The Air Suspension Ride Pros; Find Exclusive Deals on Hot Rod Suspension, Lift Kits, Lowering Kits, Lambo Doors, air springs, air bags, Billet Wheel Adapters, Towing Kits, Air Shocks, Air suspension Lift Kits
crazzywolfie I am not looking to be the cheapest project around, but be mindful of what I can be with a budget in mind. I have spent $1400 so far (price of my project truck and donor truck). I am trying to recoup some of that already by selling the trans from the donor truck and the bed as well. Labor will cost nothing as it will be completely done by myself and friends. The real cost is tools and parts. I say that because I am not going to use easy DOT soft line, I want to use hard line of some type. And we all know nothing is cheap going that route. Also, the package deals you get are okay to get someone started, but I plan to make this as much as possible, a care free driver. On that note, please feel free to offer more insight for Project Low Country. #LOCNTRY
Old 02-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alright, i just got through with a conversation on a FB page dedicated to this generation and asked one of the guys how he got his truck in the weeds. The reply I got was a dakota front clip. Anyone have the information on this? Or will the gentlemen himself perform a write-up on this process? Just curious about the options.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone know exactly what I need to take with me to remove the van lca's? Trying to plan my next trip to the scrap yard.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1989
Engine: 360
Originally Posted by caseykeenum View Post
Alright, i just got through with a conversation on a FB page dedicated to this generation and asked one of the guys how he got his truck in the weeds. The reply I got was a dakota front clip. Anyone have the information on this? Or will the gentlemen himself perform a write-up on this process? Just curious about the options.
whats the name of this fb group?

Matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 QCSB
Engine: magnum 5.9/360
Send a message via Skype™ to codered
I would try air lift since they're a vendor on the site. Imo I've had people who dealt with arnott products and they were very pleased. Give them a holler and see if they have a kit for your truck. Unlike many compressors sold they don't come with adhesive spray that prevents rust while arnott has that. But, get ready for the price of these babies you get what you pay for especially suspension components. Best of luck and make sure to maintain it all. It also depends on how advanced you want it. I've dealt with Lincoln air suspension that had ride height sensors, the air springs, the compressor, air lines, rubber seals you have to watch and shitty valves. Ford did an ok job with them but maintenance is key. Good thing is you won't bottom out, the air springs rebound faster, the ride remains the same under heavy loads.

Originally Posted by rocket View Post
life is like toilet paper.....you're either on a roll or taking shit from some asshole.
codered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 QCSB
Engine: magnum 5.9/360
Send a message via Skype™ to codered
In regards to my previous comment the air lift vendors might be best since you can adjust the ride height by a Shrader valve or by a remote depending on what compressor you go with. Arnott is OEM parts for cars that came factory with air suspension. Imho aftermarket air suspension is better than factory since you can hook the compressor and all your goodies independently. Instead of them being all tied into the computer of the vehicle. Also choosing how many springs on each corner, my guess is a 4 corner. Lowes or home depot has good air lines if the kit you buy doesn't come with any.

Originally Posted by rocket View Post
life is like toilet paper.....you're either on a roll or taking shit from some asshole.
codered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
whats the name of this fb group?
1972 - 1993 Dodge Trucks
Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by codered View Post
In regards to my previous comment the air lift vendors might be best since you can adjust the ride height by a Shrader valve or by a remote depending on what compressor you go with. Arnott is OEM parts for cars that came factory with air suspension. Imho aftermarket air suspension is better than factory since you can hook the compressor and all your goodies independently. Instead of them being all tied into the computer of the vehicle. Also choosing how many springs on each corner, my guess is a 4 corner. Lowes or home depot has good air lines if the kit you buy doesn't come with any.
I appreciate all of the info, I have lucked into all of the DOT line I will need for $50 from some hookups. I plan to go with hardline later. I agree with the aftermarket air suspension comment. I am still pricing and scouting and will post updates as progress is made.